I'm 56 with very tiny lips. I have a lot of fine lines around the lips and am considering lip implants.

I have small lips with small facial features. My main concern is the fine lines around the lips. Yes, I would like fuller lips but I don't want it to look obvious. I don't want people noticing I had something done. What size should I get?

What size permalip implants?

Thank you for asking about your Permalip implants.

I have placed Permalip implants in many women with small faces and small lips. But the largest size Permalip implant, size 5, was not too large for their lips. that said, this is a decision to make with your own surgeon since only your surgeon has the benefit of examining you!

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lip Implant - choosing implant size

Thank you for your question. Lip Implants may be a reasonable option for those individuals who are seeking permanent lip enhancement or for those who have not been satisfied with the longevity of effect afforded by hyaluronic acid fillers. The PermaLip (Perma Facial) Implant is FDA approved for permanent lip augmentation.  Please note that the lip implant procedures generally does not improve the typical fine lines (vertical lip lines) surrounding the lips. In most cases, the lip implant does not draw attention or look 'obvious' if the appropriate size is chosen and the procedure is performed correctly. Which size may be best for you depends upon your baseline lip appearance and your anesthetic goals. Consider consultation with a board-certified facial surgeon to discuss your concerns and goals and which options may be best for you. Many surgeons who offer this service will have samples of the implant in the office for you to view and inspect. This often helps patients make the best choice for themselves.

James M. Pearson, MD

56 with very tiny lips. I have a lot of fine lines around the lips and am considering lip implants.

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years. Non smiling photos of your lips would help in the evaluation.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. Thin lips can be augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant.  Both dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects. For vertical lines around the lips and mouth Botox or one of the other neuromodulators are best for relaxing these unwanted lines when used in a dilute solution.  I have used Botox, Xeomin or Disport for this purpose for almost 25 years with great success.  Lip implants will not affect the lines around the mouth.  Permalip implants come in different sizes, so you can have varying levels of augmentation and subtle results if desired. Hope this helps.