Is 500cc's too large for my body? Looking for a natural look but still want a large size? (Photo)

I'm 22, 5'8", 136 lbs, have one child. Didn't breastfeed but pregnancy comprised skin elasticity slightly but the PS said my skin would be fine. He also said I need 2 sizes, my left breast is larger. I tried on the 400/450cc combo & the 450/500cc combo. Both looked great. I'm on the fence. I want to be fairly large but not over the top fake. Which would look best on my body? Would my slightly stretched breasts withstand? I want silicone under the muscle. Should I get high profile?

Is 500cc's too large for my body?

You really do not need a high profile as your natural projection is very good. As to which implant is best, I'm afraid no one on this site will be able to answer the question without examining you. If you have an artistic and experienced surgeon, you should trust the doctor's suggestion. 

Too large for your breast tissue

Your breast tissue can accept that size implant without having issues. The left breast has stretched out areola and would need areola reduction. You mentioned that you want to look natural and 500 cc will be big but not natural. Please see your surgeon again and ask about your areola and how they will stretch post enlargement.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

450 vs 500cc implants

Thanks for your question. It is not possible to give recommendations without a proper assessment of your breast dimensions and other factors.  If you are on the fence I would suggest contacting your plastic surgeon to determine whether they feel one combination is more suitable for your body.

Choosing Implant Size

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body. 

Consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Is 500cc too big?

Dear kattgaines:Although a formal physical exam is really needed to give you any meaningful advice on implant sizing, I would likely recommend  a breast augmentation with my dual plane technique to help achieve a natural shape even with fuller implants.  In terms of picking the right implants to achieve your goals, generally speaking, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients: 1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these  measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation. Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery  which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural
fuller look. Hope this helps. Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Impolant size

the simple answer is that I don't believe that 500 is too  big given your height and probable elasticity.   but trust your doctor

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Best Size for You

The most important issue is the ability of your skin to hold the implants without being damaged, and your surgeon determines this in person.  Next is the way you will look. I prefer to do an in-person sizing process in front of a mirror with sizers. I also encourage patients to bring photos of what shape they like and do not like.Your breasts aren't just a different size...your left breast had a higher fold, a narrower base, less tissue, and possibly a bit more skin laxity than the right. There is also a  difference in your areolas. This is quite common, but be aware that simply placing a larger implant on one side will not correct all of the above issues.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Is 500cc's too large for my body? Looking for a natural look but still want a large size?

Thank you for your question and photograph.  You have very nicely shaped breasts and should achieve a nice result with breast augmentation.Please be aware that you have a significant asymmetry in that the right breast is larger and lower than the left breast.  This is normal, as 88% women  have breast asymmetry.  However your surgeon may choose to address this with a small lift on the right side.In my experience 500 cc breast implants are quite large and there is risk they will not look natural.  However you are tall and certainly could manage implants in the 400+ range.Please go to Love your and study before and after photographs of patients with breast implants in the 400-500 cc range.  Hopefully your surgeon also has breast implant sizers which allow you to feel that size of implant and a supportive bra.Finally please read the link below and do the Rice test at home.

What size implants

This is a common question asked not only in forums, but also in the offices of cosmetic plastic surgeons. It seems to be a source of some angst for most women as they have tremendous concern for what the final outcome might be. I find that several things over the last 25 years have helped patients decide which type, shape, and projection ratios will best suit their needs. I think it's helpful if the patient brings in several photographs of what the goal look of her breasts might be. Also, if she can bring some photographs of what she doesn't want, this will eliminate trying to express in words what “natural”, “high cleavage”, “low cleavage”, “fake”, and “stripper” may mean to her. I have likewise found the Vectra 3-D imaging platform to be the single most helpful tool in trying to visualize what the outcome might be with different sizes as well as shapes of implants. The Mentor shell sizing system, in which a shell of implant material is placed over the breast and in a padless bra, can likewise be helpful in that it can, not only show the size in a bra, but can give the patient some idea as to what the weight of the implant might be. In my opinion, the implants will look best when the base width of the implant is at, or just slightly less, than a natural base width of her breast. Considerations of chest wall abnormalities, location of breast creases, shapes of the breast, amount of overlying breast tissue, stretch ability of the skin and breast over the implant, among other things also play a role in trying to decide which implant will look best on each individual patient. It can also be helpful if the plastic surgeon, during their consultation, can provide some insight into what the likely outcome would be with different sized implants given their experience in breast implant surgery over many years. We ask our patients to bring different types of clothing such as evening gowns and bathing suits as well as a tight shirt to evaluate what the implant might look like under these type of clothing options. It is also possible to make a home made breast sizer using grain rice. Approximately 1 ounce of rice equals 30 mL of breast implants volume. The rice can be placed into a pantyhose leg and enough volume left in the pantyhose such that the rice can be flattened out. You can then tie off the pantyhose and cut off the excess. This flattened rice volume pantyhose can be added on top of the breast inside of a padless bra and can give a rough approximation of what the corresponding implant might look like. Besides the size, most plastic surgical consultations for breast augmentation will also deal with the shape of implants, whether round or anatomically shaped. Here I think the Vectra really shines in that you can place two images next to each other, one with the shaped implant and one with a round implant such that the potential breast implant patient can really see what the difference would look like on them. All things considered, this can be a fun process and the vast majority of patients in my practice are quite happy with their end result. Hope your surgery goes well and good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS