Is 500 - 550cc good for my height and weight?

Im about 5'1 and i weigh about 125lbs. Im currently and a cup Ive been looking at before and afters and i love how 500-550cc look. Im scared if i choose a smaller size ill regret it. Pleaseeee help....

Photos for advices

Thanks for the question.

to give you the best advice we need photos or a physical evaluation. I recommend you to send your photos to us to tell you what you should perform.

Kind regards

Implant size

Hello and thank you for your question. The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thank you for the question.  Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Generally speaking, every patient undergoing breast augmentation surgery should understand that their anatomic starting point will limit the outcome of breast augmentation surgery.    In other words, a patient's starting anatomy will limit how large of a breast implant can be utilized safely. The use of a larger breast implant(than what is safely "allowed" by the patient's anatomy) can be problematic;  potential problems include breast implant displacement/malpostion issues ( such as bottoming out, lateral displacement, symmastia...)  and/or significant breast implant rippling/palpability.

***Given your concerns, I would suggest that you schedule additional time to spend with your plastic surgeon communicating your goals, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "D or DD cup”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Talking from a general standpoint implants over 500 mL in my practice would be unusually large for someone with your petite frame.  Please watch the video linked to above for more discussion over the risks of an excessively large implant.  Please take this as general advice without an examination since it is difficult to determine your skin distensability as well as the amount of loose skin that you have based solely on your description.  My advice would be to be more conservative but do discuss all of your options with your plastic surgeon who hopefully is an ABPS board-certified doctor.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

500cc breast implants are too large

Thank you for your question.  Your frame is too small for 500cc breast implants. In order for your body to accommodate this size implant, your implants will need to be over the muscle or the muscle needs to be cut inferiorly. Once the muscle is cut, there is no support to keep the implant in place. This is a common problem when choosing implants that are too large for the patient. Please discuss in detail all the risks and complications associated with large implants. Some to consider: chronic pain, nipple numbness, capsular contracture, malposition, bottoming out, skin stretch deformities, irreversible soft tissue damage, etc. I recommend you visit the breast augmentation revision forum on this site to see real stories of women with complications such as I just mentioned. Please consider that the heavier the implant - the sooner you will need revisionary surgery to re-position the implant back in place.

Best wishes and kind regards,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Most of my patients with your petite physique get implants in the 270 - 330 cc range to result in a full C or small D cup appearance. But we can't really tell you if that  larger volume is a good choice for you without a consultation to determine goals and an exam.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for your question. Breast augmentation surgery is individualized to each patient.  The method of implant selection and size is best done in consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. The shape and size of your breasts prior to surgery will influence both the recommended treatment and the final results. I tell all of my patients “Dimensions and proportions are the determinants of a beautiful breast; not volume.” I recommend that you make an appointment with your plastic surgeon to discuss your breast augmentation and implant choice.

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: Your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. or the type of implant. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing suit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant. Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. Robert Singer, MD FACS La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Picking the right implant size to achieve your goals

Dear adriel88:  Although a formal physical exam is really needed to give you any meaningful advice on implant sizing, generally speaking, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients: 1) Dimensional planning and 2) Gel Implant Sizing system:

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a  unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some
implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing System - During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery
which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Selecting the Correct Implant to Achieve Your Goals

Hello Adriel and thank-you for your question. Selecting the correct implant size is among the most important decisions in a successful breast augmentation procedure. Placement of the identical implant will not produce the same results in all patients due to differences in:

1. Dimensions of the breast 

2.Diameter of the chest 

3.Volume of breast tissue 

4. Height and weight 

5. Breast shape, including breast ptosis and asymmetry

I rely on 3 methods to advise my patients:

1. Dimensional planning 

2. Gel implant sizing 

3. 3-Dimensional Vectra imaging system.

At the time of consultation, measurements are taken allowing for dimensional planning to select the implant which best fits the base diameter of the breast. Gel implant sizing is performed to allow you to visualize augmentation the with the various sized implants. Vectra 3-D imaging has been a very important method in my practice in selecting the correct implant size and shape as it allows you to see what you will look like following augmentation with any of the available implants.

Best wishes

Dr. LyosMD, FAC

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS