I am 50 years old and ready for my first ever Botox. What's estimated number of units? Frequency of treatment? (photo)

Botox basics

1. The typical dose for Botox is usually about 20-30 units per area.
  2. Botox takes approximately 3-7 days, sometimes up to 2 weeks to fully kick in.
  3. Botox lasts about 4 months (between 3-6 months).
  4. Usually it is about 5-9 injections per area to be treated
  5. The most common areas are the glabella (11s between the eyebrows), forehead and crow's feet (lateral eyes).
  6. Botox has a very high satisfaction rate for patients
  7. Make sure you find an experienced injector
  8. The core specialists for Botox are Plastic Surgeons, Dermatologists, Facial Plastic Surgeons and Oculoplastic surgeons.  Check your doctor's certification as you do not have to be one of these core specialists to offer injection.

Botox ready

You are going to love Botox!  You will typically use about 20-30 units on the glabella and forehead areas and another 20 for the crows feet.  Botox takes approximately 3-7 days to notice the effect and will last 3-4 months.  Enjoy!

Camille Cash, MD

Botox for the first time

Happy 50th birthday.  What a great treat to yourself.  Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon/dermatologist for best results.  Upon proper assessment they will determine the amount you need and cost.  Typically 50 units is a great starting point for the upper face and you will need to repeat every 3-4 months.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox Units.

Congrats on turning 50, you are going to love your botox birthday gift! Expect to require approx 25-50 units in order to treat your forehead area, including between brows. That being said, each individual is unique and some are more sensitive to botox and require less and get longer results, others require more units and more frequent sessions. Each time you have botox injected your experience should improve as both you and your injector perfect your needs! Have fun, Dr. P.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox units

The number of units needed per patient is customized.The average is about 20 units per area.However, I customize it for each patient.The Botox will last 3 to 4 months.Be sure to see a Board certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for your treatment.

Esta Kronberg, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

First Botox and number of units

Hi,  The number of units used will vary depending on the number of places treated and the severity of the areas.  Some injectors charge by the unit while others charge by the site.  It looks as if you need the Glabella, forehead and crows feet done. This would give you the desired smoothing and brow lift if you want.  NO matter the number of units injected it ususally wears off in 3-4 months.  If you are concerned that you will be over injected and "frozen" then let your injector know your concerns so a lower number of units can be injected.  Most patients, I find, want wrinkles gone but don't want to be completely frozen.  Hope this helpsDr. ODell

Botox units

The units of botox used vary depending on the location and the degree of wrinkles. Units for the glabella range from 12 to 20, forehead 8 to 20, crow's feet 2 to 12. Botox typically lasts 3 months. I like to use enough botox to relax the wrinkles, but not too much so that it looks frozen or unnnatural. Good luck. Best, Dr H 

Sanaz Harirchian, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for facial wrinkles.

Congratulations on holding out to the age of 50!  In my Beverly Hills office I treat by region rather than my the number of units used.  I would definitely discuss with your injecting your crow's feet to elevate your outer brows and might consider glabellar and forehead injection if active wrinkling of these areas is bothersome (can't tell in your repose photo).Meet with a Bd Certified plastic surgeon or derm with a good reputation and discuss your options.  I think you're likely to really enjoy the results.  For some folks botox and xeomin provide remarkable results.  

Jon A. Perlman, MD

First Botox treatment

The Botox dosing will be determined by the sites treated as well as the strength of the individual muscles. On average I use 40-50 units of Botox when treating the glabella (frown lines), frontalis (horizontal forehead lines), and lateral canthal lines (crow's feet). Botox could also be injected into the chin, along the jawline, and into platysmal bands as needed and this would require additional units. It is also important to know that best results are often obtained with combination treatments. For example, you may also benefit from filler injection to the tear troughs to help improve the appearance of the undereyes skin resurfacing to improve any sun damage. 
Please see an experienced physician and ask for a customized treatment plan.

Botox and Resuts / What Age To Start? / Whats Amount of Units Needed Per Area

The units are dependent on the individual persons movement, facial shape and area treated.  Typical dosing is:a. glabella: 16-24 ub. crows feet: 9-15 uc. forehead: 6-20 ud. chin: 2-8 unitse. neck bands: 10-100 u
I suggest finding an expert for a formal evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.