4days post-rhino. Will the tip of my nose adjust? What do I need done to have a more feminine face? (Photo)

Hello, I had rhino/septoplasty done 4days ago, the tip is upturned making the space between my lip and nose highly noticeable . Will the tip adjust? Also, I would like a feminine face, what do I need done to achieve this? Please be very honest, Thank you

Way Too Early

Dear STRONGwill, At only four days after surgery, you are way early asking for advice on your result. Likely, you have not even gone in for your first postoperative visit. Be patient and realize that it takes a full year for all of the swelling to subside in a rhinoplasty with the tip being the last to normalize. Your profile looks nice and the slight upturn of the tip is a desirable feature in a young lady. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

4 day post rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photos.  It takes our bodies at least 6 months to heal after surgery, nose surgery may take even longer. 4 days is very early in the healing period.  When patients have questions I always invite them to come to my office so I can fully evaluate the situation.

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty: evaluating your result

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Part of that process is waiting for swelling to go down to see your result. In the first 6-8 weeks the majority of swelling will go down. Over the next 6-9 months you'll experience a downward trending rollercoaster of swelling going up and down depending on your exposure to heat, sun, or salt. At one year, you're close to your final result; however, the nose is known to continue healing and refining by very small amounts for years after that.  The swelling commonly goes down in an uneven way. First one side and then the other goes down, which may give the appearance of a crooked nose until the other side catches up. The tip is the last area to settle down. At 4 days it's too early to evaluate the nose. It's important to follow your surgeon's instructions and keep your follow-up appointments so your surgeon can track your progress toward a safe and happy outcome. Safety comes first.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon