40 year old - Juvederm injections in lips and nasolabial folds - is this normal? (Photo)

I received both Juvederm XC in my lips and NasoLabial Folds. (3rd time) She seemed to inject further inside my lip vs the lip lines. 10 minutes after the injections I saw a huge white bump on my lower lip. That evening I developed a huge bruise. An RX of Valtrex was called in. (no history of fever blisters) The bruise healed within 5-7 days. Three months later (today) I can already see and feel it wearing off. Could this be my body/metabolism of the filler? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Juvederm filler did not last long

Thank you for your question, some people metabolize filler faster than others.  For areas other than the lips, you can try a longer lasting non-hyaluronic acid filler such as Radiesse.

Good Luck!
Dr. Shah

Lip filler not lasting long

I recommend that yo get more filler in the lip as it has metabolized quicker than normal. Metabolism rates for HA fillers are variable and individual.

Dr Karamanoukian
#RealSelf100 Member

Filler Not Lasting Long What To Do

Some people metabolize filler faster than others.  for areas other than the lips fillers that last longer like bellafill, radiesse, sculptra, and fat can be used.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Juvederm in Lips and Nasolabial Folds

Juvederm is a great filler for the lower face and mouth area. That being said, because there is so much movement in this area: talking, eating, kissing etc, the filler breaks down a lot faster. Normal duration for this area is approx. 3-6 months.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Lip filler duration is about 4 months

I think that normal duration of lip filler is about 4 months. NLF should be about 12 mos. Bruising is not uncommon after lip fillers but is less in the more experienced hands. See link please.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Expectations after lip filler

Filling the lips can be a great way to provide more shape and volume to the lips; however, it is important to know the potential risk and benefits prior to the procedure.   The lips are especially prone to bruising and swelling more so than other areas of the face.  It is important to avoid blood thinners and use cold compresses to reduce the risk of bruising and swelling.  The volume in the lips also seems to dissipate more quickly than other areas of the face.  Longevity of filler can vary from patient to patient depending on the amount of filler used.  The more filler injected the longer it generally lasts.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm in lips

Dear lauried1079:

What you are noticing is completely within the normal course of events. When injecting the lips themselves rather than the skin around the lips, bruising is a bit more likely and filler does not last quite as long. Because the tissues  of the lips are so distensible, larger volumes cannot be used without causing unpleasant swelling after the injections. I have found it to be preferable to inject smaller amounts in the lips more frequently to minimize downtime. By the way, you still look great, and it does not appear to an outside observer that your correction is going away in any significant manner at this point.

All the best, Dr.  Clark 

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

40 year old - Juvederm injections in lips and nasolabial folds - is this normal?

Hello Lauried1079,

Everything you have shown appears to be within normal limits.  If you moved from having the lip margin (where it goes from the red lip to the white lip) injected to the body of the lip injected, your risk of bruising does go up.  Because this area is so mobile, the filler tends to go away faster as well compared to other parts of the face.  With most patients the filler will last for about 6-9 months in the lip.  That doesn't mean the entire result will be there that long but that some product will remain.  If you want to maintain the fullness, this may mean you have to get a touch up with less filler before it all goes away.  There are other fillers which can last a little longer, but they are more prone to lumpiness.  Because they are more firm, in my opinion, they also don't provide as natural of a feel as Juvederm Ultra XC or Restylane Silk does for the lips. 

It is always recommended to follow up with your injectors for an in person evaluation as well.  This way he or she can evaluate you based on knowledge of how much volume was placed in what locations. 

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Longevity

Thank you for sharing your questions and photos.  Your results look excellent.  On average, Juvederm lasts 6 to 12 months in the lips depending on the location and the depth of injection.  New products which last longer are being released into the U.S. later this year.  In some areas of the face, we find it can last for several years.  

Please consider returning to your dermatologist or plastic surgeon to evaluate if you need a "touch up". 

Suneel Chilukuri, M.D.
Houston, TX

#Juvederm, #Vobella, #Volift, #Restylane, #Silk, #Belotero, #Allergan, #Galderma, #fillers, #lips, #RefreshDermatology

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Injections and Duration

Thank you for posting your question.  There is no relationship between the bruising that you previously had and the longevity of the product. It may be that you just metabolize the product more quickly and need a "touch up'.  It is always best to consult with an expert injector.  Best, Dr. Green