Will 360cc mod profile silicone look natural on a 5'8'' and 130 lb woman? (photos)

I'm 5'8'' and 130 pounds with an athletic build. I am looking to get a breast augmentation soon. I'm really worried about size and looking natural. Currently I am going with 360cc mod profile unders. But my doctor said they may look small and I might not have any cleavage. I don't want huge breast. I'm currently a 34A. At first they talked me into 405cc and I got really nervous this was going to be too big. Do you think 360cc will look okay?!? I'd like to be a full C or a little smaller.

Picking the right implant to achieve your goals

Dear starburst123:

In terms of picking the right implants to achieve your goals, generally speaking, I consider two
factors when selecting implants for my patients:1. Dimensional planning2. Gel Implant Sizing system. Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the
breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of
each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these
measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a
unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there
are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some
implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can
review this with you during the consultation. Gel Implant Sizing System – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will
be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and
sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery
which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you
longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a
range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural
fuller look. Hope this helps. Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Will 360cc mod profile silicone look natural on a 5'8'' and 130 lb woman?

Thank you for your question. It is impossible for any plastic surgeon to completely answer your question without doing actual measurements and an examination. Height and weight are good reference points in general, and by those parameters the implant size you have "chosen" seems to be a reasonable volume relative to your height and weight.  I never "get married" to a number and I tell my patients that as well. I believe in very specific measurements that help me "assess" each patient's tissues. This helps understand quite frankly "how much room" there is or "space" for any implant. I utilize a special breast sizer at the time of surgery in every case to verify the plan that we have with each patient. In some cases, despite our best plan in the office and "trying on implants", we may need a little more volume, in some cases a little less.  There are also a variety of "profiles" that need to be carefully "selected" that ideally match the width of your chest wall to the width of the implant. When a breast implant is chosen that far exceeds the base width of the patient's chest wall, then problems can ensue too closely spaced implants that can require complex revision surgery or correction.  I hope this helps!

Thank you for your question and photograph.  Because there is not a correlation between cc size and bra cup size it is impossible to recommend the best implant style, size or shape without an in-person examination that allows for the measurement of key breast parameters, as well as permits an in-depth discussion as to your desired goals and outcome. I would recommend you voice your concerns with your surgeon, they are in the best position to ensure that the implants the two of your decide upon are the right ones to meet your expectations.  It sounds as if it may be wise for you to "try on" several of the implants so that you can have a better visual representation as to what they would look like.  Best wishes!

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 34 C and a 38 C are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer. There is no direct correlation between implant number of cc's and cup size in any particular patient.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California  

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).  Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.  These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Best Breast implants for me?

Thank you for the question. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful.  Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging)  as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "full C cup” or "huge" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. During your consultation I like to find out your goals (i.e.what cup size you would like to be ).We have special sizers that you can put on at the office. Patients really like these because it gives them an idea of how they would look with different size implants. It's important to measure the width of your breast to determine which implant you need. There are four different profiles of round silicone implants. They are moderate, moderate classic,high and ultra high profile. I use the bloodless technique which I invented. Bleeding is minimal, typically there is no bruising after surgery, and recovery is a lot quicker versus traditional technique .I hope you find this useful . 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

360 cc

Thank you for your question and providing a photo. This is difficult to answer without knowing your breast dimensions. I believe it is very important to choose an implant that fits your chest dimensionally well. The 360cc moderate classic profile implant is 13.6 cm wide with 3.3 cm of projection. If you are an A cup and your breasts are about that width than I believe that volume will leave you a medium C cup with a natural look. Best of luck