2 weeks post upper and lower bleph and lots of swelling and look older. (photos)

I had upper and lower bleph (along with rhinoplasty) two weeks ago. My eyes are so swollen and seem hollow. I feel like I look much older and I'm almost fixated on it. I'm posting an after and a before. I just want my old eyes back now. Is this just swelling or are my eyes changed now? Maybe too much fat removal?What can I do?

Healing after upper and lower blepharoplasty

A couple of observations from your photographs - in the first photograph you are smiling which makes the palpebral vertical dimension smaller. You also have makeup on which helps the appearance. In the 2nd and 3rd photo, you are not smiling, your eyes are looking down, and you still have considerable swelling. Don't be discouraged at this point - it's much too early to appreciate the final results. It is likely that your lid folds will descend as the swelling resolves and the skin contour will improve in both the upper and the lower lids. Stay in touch with your surgeon and let him/her know about your concerns. You may find that you don't need or want touch-up surgery after your swelling subsides. Wait at least 6 months before making that decision. Best wishes for your recovery!

Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

I agree that your upper eyelid incision were made too high.

This is the result of not respecting the aesthetic value of the upper eyelid folds.  What you needed was a small structured blepharoplasty. What you received what a surgery that skeletonized your upper eyelids.  This will not heal to a better appearance.  For that, you will need to a revisional surgery.  The good news is that it is possible to improve eyelids that look like this.  However, you first need to heal from this recent surgery.  Generally it is reasonable to revise the eyelids after letting the tissues heal about 6 months.

Blepharoplasty: evaluating the result

Recovering from blepharoplasty takes time for the swelling to go down. It's difficult to evaluate the result when it is masked by swelling. At two weeks, you are very early in the healing process.It's important to keep your follow-up appointments so your surgeon can track your progress. I encourage photographs, but they need to be standardized to compare with before and other after photos. Please be patient and keep communicating with your surgeon so she/he can follow your progress and keep you on track. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

This might have been expected

I'm not sure what your original surgeon did, but its possible that he used your natural crease which was high and hidden by the excess skin.  Upon excising that overhanging skin, you could've been left with the result you have now.  It may not have been a matter of taking out too much fat.  A discussion usually takes place preoperatively about expectations and appearance. This is concerning your upper eyelids.  With regard to the lowers, its best to wait longer to see the final result.  Its best to wait 6 months before considering a revision.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks post blepharoplasty

Thank you for sharing your concerns. Final results cannot be determined this soon after surgery. You have significant healing to do over the following months. Be patient and wait 6 months before deciding how the eyelids appear.  Good luck,

Upper and Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty

Please be patient -- eyelid surgery takes 6 months to 1 year to heal.  It is often a jolt to see yourself looking different than you are used in the post-op period after eyelid surgery.  But you must realize that bruising and swelling will improve slowly every day.  You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon of course but for now patience is in order.  Good luck in your recovery!

Damon B. Chandler, MD
Moorestown Oculoplastic Surgeon