19 y/o, 5'5" 100lbs with 32A wanting full C small D; is 371cc too large? (Photos)

I already know (from my doctor) that 371cc is as large as I can go because my BWD I believe is 12in. But I don't want to be too small, however I don't want it very large for my frame. I'm more afraid of the future, if they will bottom out or I'll need revision right after. My doctor suggested 339cc first but I felt that I'd want it bigger so he then suggested 37cc. I don't care a lot of my after bra size because I know it varies with brands but I just want the look like in these photos.

Implant sizing

You ask a very common question regarding breast implants and breast augmentation, and there are many philosophies regarding how to best size implants for a patient's specific soft tissue characteristics and to satisfy a patient's specific expectations. This procedure, in my opinion, is still and art which does not lend itself to some biodimensional analysis to determine the perfect CC size of implant that is ideal for you. Implants placed into a bra seem to underestimate the result when placed under the breast, especially when placed under the pectoral muscle. I prefer patient's to select of photo of the desired result and allow me to select the final CC size in the operating room once the pocket has been created and using a sizer to confirm the size of the implant that gives the desired result. Good luck to you with your upcoming surgery.

Picking the right implant to achieve your goals

Dear breemariek:

It looks like you will likely get a great result from breast augmentation.  I think you would benefit from a breast augmentation with a dual plane technique with the Allergan Inspira silicone gel implants. 

In terms of picking the right implants to achieve your goals, generally speaking, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning and 2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall.  Hence a physical exam is really needed to give you any meaningful advice.  

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural  fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Implants candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

I recommend you, to use a microtexturized highly cohesive silicone implant ("gummy bear" implants), with high projection, and volumes between 350ml-400ml to fill the breasts properly.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

19 y/o, 5'5" 100lbs with 32A wanting full C small D; is 371cc too large?

Thank you for your question however without a face-to-face exam or at least photos to show the amount of skin that you have and is potential distensability it is impossible to give you a firm answer. Either implant may work well depending upon how much skin is present.  I choose the final implant size in the operating room once I see the actual results using different test implants or sizers with the patient asleep.  Allow your surgeon to use his/her best judgment to get you the result that you seek.  I think the final decision for the implants should be in the doctor's hands and not the patient's responsibility. Best wishes and good luck.  Please watch the video above for details of how I select the implants for my patients.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Implant wishes

based on your wish photos and statements, I would anticipate the larger implant is what you would be happier with.  there are several implants and profiles to choose from. 

discuss with your surgeon and review your options.

hope that helps and best wishes!

Dr Morales

ABPS Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

Selecting the Correct Breast Implant to Achieve Your Goals

Thank-you for your photo and question.

Choosing the correct breast implants may seem overwhelming due to the options available for implant material (silicone or saline), placement (under or over the muscle), implant size and shape. Based on your photo, you would do well with breast augmentation with a silicone gel implant placed under the muscle dual plane. Treatment plans are individualized for each patient based on findings during the consultation to meet your goals. 

Selecting the correct implant size and shape is among the most important decisions in a successful breast augmentation procedure. Placement of the identical implant will not produce the same results in all patients due to differences in:

1.Dimensions of the breast 2.Diameter of the chest 3.Volume of breast tissue 4. Height and weight 5. Breast shape, including breast ptosis and asymmetry

I rely on 3 methods to advise my patients:

1. Dimensional planning 2. Gel implant sizing 3. 3-Dimensional Vectra imageing system.

At the time of consultation, measurements are taken allowing for dimensional planning to select the implant which best fits the base diameter of the breast. Gel implant sizing is performed to allow you to visualize augmentation the with the various sized implants. Vectra 3-D imaging has been a very important method in my practice in selecting the correct implant size and shape as it allows you to see what you will look like following augmentation with any of the available implants. I would recommend a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Best regards, Andrew Lyos MD, FAC

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Final implant size is based on exam and wishes

Thanks for your question. I can appreciate the frustration of wanting to get it right. Unlike some of the other responses, I would actually be in favor of the initial size your surgeon suggested. I think that will give plenty of volume and fullness. The additional volume to go to the next size is not huge, but more volume is more weight. You are already going to feel like they are heavy. Assuming you have not had children and your breast is fairly firm, the original size should give you a great result. Without seeing your photos or examining you, it's hard to be too emphatic. In my practice the Vectra 3D imaging gives a great simulation of your outcome. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

339 vs 371

Thank you for your question. In reality, the difference between 339 and 371 is very little. Most women choose to err on the side of the larger implant. You seem to have done your homework and chosen a surgeon you feel comfortable with. That is the most important part of the process.