Follow up to my previous question: 16 months post op, dog ears!! (photo)

I was told once the swelling subsided the dog ears would diminish but, here I am 16 mons PO and these awful dog ears are still very much present. What can be done and will I be out more money in order to correct this?!

16 months post op with dog ears.

This happens on occasion with abdominoplasty. There are options. A completely non invasive option would be CoolSculpting. This can freeze the fat and deliver an improved contour. More traditional options are some liposuction, or resection of skin/soft tissue. This is a much smaller procedure than the original surgery and is usually well tolerated. The cost will depend on the extent of the surgery, the method used, the cost of the surgery center, and if the original surgeon is doing it. Please speak with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Together, you will figure out a plan.

What to do about dog ears...

Based on your photos, you have small dog ears.  They can be corrected in office under local anesthetics.  It would be best to talk with your plastic surgeon about his/her financial policy. Best wishes.

Dog ears

At 16 months these will probably not resolve any further. These can be corrected as a local anaesthetic procedure although the scar will be slightly longer

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Follow up to my previous question: 16 months post op, dog ears!!

After 16 months if you were my patient I would have corrected at 6 months under local at N/C. But this long I would charge for supplies and staff, no MD fee. Should cost $1,000 to $1,500. 

Mild Dog Ears

Thank you for your picture.  Yes you have mild dog ears.  This is correctable.  The cost depends on your surgeon's office policy.

Dog ears

These irregularities at the ends of the TT incision are usually fixed under local anesthesia in the office by extending the incisions about an inch or less and excise and ellipse of skin from each side. Only your own surgeon can answer questions about fees.

All the best. 

Removing the dog ears is simple

The best solution would be to remove the dog ears by taking out an additional ellipse of skin.  The scar is slightly longer, but normally this is well worth it. Many plastic surgeons offer this type of correction one year after the original procedure at little to no cost, especially if the revision can be done in the office.  Check with your original plastic surgeon.  

Denton Watumull, MD
Richardson Plastic Surgeon

Dogears after tummy tuck

Thanks for your inquiry and excellent pictures.  I believe your dogears could be revised in the office and I would discuss with your plastic surgeon.  Each surgeon has different policies about revision work.  

Dog ears after tummy tuck

Removal of dog ears following tummy tuck is a relatively simple office procedure.  I would recommend you discuss with your plastic surgeon that did your surgery.  Each plastic surgeon has their own policies for revisions.  In my practice, I do not charge for minor revisions for my patients.

Good Luck,

Trey Aquadro, M.D.
Auburn, AL

Unhappy with tummy tuck after 16 months

The photo suggests to me that you do not have dog ears (which to me mean excess skin) but excess fat under the skin. Liposuction should smooth the bulge. 
You probably will be charged - 18 months is a long time to wait to decide you have an awful result.