11 days post op of a tummy tuck - what is this? (photo)

Its horribly ugly what should I do!?

Tummy tuck scar

Congratulations on your recent surgery.

Your area of concern is the skin puckering at the end of suture line.  Once you are cleared by your plastic surgeon, please follow his/her recommendation on scar massage.  As the swelling decreases, with combined with scar massaging, the area should improve.  If the area bothers you after 6 months, it can be easily revised in-office.

Please talk with your plastic surgeon about your concern.

Best wishes with your recovery.

Issue at 11 Days Post-Op

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Considering the fact that you are concerned about the healing if this incision the best thing to do is to visit your surgeon and have the area examined to make sure that healing is progressing as it should. Good luck.

Post tummy tuck

this looks like an inflamed dog ear. This is a fold of skin that can happen post surgery. It usually disappears itself. If it is inflamed however, it might benefit from being excised

Contact your surgeon for advice

Mansoor Khan, BSc(Hons), MD, FRCS(Plast)
Southampton Plastic Surgeon

11 days post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

To reduce the swelling, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
If the fter six months post-op, I recommend you send us your photos again, to give you more information about how we can solve this problem.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emma Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Healing after a tummy tuck

It is almost impossible to evaluate what is going on from the photograph. When the closure is puckered or pleated like this, the body is often very forgiving and will flatten this write-down. You should definitely discuss this with your plastic surgeon so you can better understand what to expect as far as scarring.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Revision/Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you contact your surgeon to discuss your concerns at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

11 days post op

looks like you have some bunching or puckering of the incision. This typically flattens with time but since you are concerned, best to bring it up with your operating surgeon at your post op follow up. 

Check with your doctor

This could be some suture puckering or adherence.  It does not seem to be necrosis. Check with your doctor, they should be able to provide an answer.

Tummy Tuck incisional puckering

Thank you for your question. For concerns such as yours, my advice is you contact your board-certified plastic surgeon's office and discuss this incisional area of "puckering" at your next post-op visit. It will likely smooth-out and resolve as you heal over time.