Will I bald like a male? (Photo)

I have been given a tentative diagnosis of Female Pattern Hair Loss by biopsy almost a year ago. I lose around 200 hairs a day and my temples are getting very thin and I can see sone scalp in front. My part is a little wider but not bad. The sides are worse. Am I going to bald more like a male? Should I use the Norwood or Ludwig scale? Also will Propecia and/or Minoxidil help my temples? My derm didn't explain the condition well. She just sent the biopsy report and said use Rogaine...

How common is thinning temples and hairline in women?

From the photos, it looks like the hairs in your temples are miniaturising. This is very common in women. It isn't possible to tell without examining your scalp how much loss of density and thinning you are having in the hairline. If your dermatologist has made a diagnosis of Female Pattern Hair Loss then it isn't possible to predict how much this will progress but using topical minoxidil is a good treatment. There are different 'patterns' of hair loss in women and receding temples might be considered a 'male pattern' of female hair loss but doesn't indicate that you would progress along the Norwood scale. 

London Hair Restoration Surgeon

Female hair loss

It is best to see a hair restoration specialist to give you a definitive diagnosis as well as a prognosis.  Minoxidil 2% is for women, I would not recommend finasteride in females.   Also, it would be important to know if any other female family members had this same condition.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Will I bald like a male?

Greetings

Thank you for your question and photo, 

Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated. Women started to experience balding even more in the last 2 decades. It is getting more and more common also in women population. However it is also good to know that this problem is also treatable when it is present in women.

To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles.

Organic Hair Transplantation is a surgical technique that moves individual hair follicles from a part of the body called “donor site” to bald or balding part of the body known as the “recipient site”. Grafts containing hair follicles that are obtained from genetically resistant to balding area transplanted to the bald scalp by latest minimally invasive technique. One of the most important reasons of the hair loss is the decreased quality of the scalp. Therefore to make the only transplantation would provide only a limited benefit without improving the quality of the scalp. In the “Organic Hair Transplantation”

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Consultation

you should have a consultation with a hair restoration surgeon who can evaluate your scalp and hair, and discuss with you the options you have available to you, including minoxidil and how it works. females can have male pattern hair loss. have a consultation, we are here to educate you!

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Will I bald like a man

I recommend you visit with a hair loss expert to discuss your concerns.  I typically do not prescribe finasteride for women.  However, in your hair examination, you can discuss you concerns and short vs long term goals.  Together you can come up with a treatment plan that will work for you.  I recommend you act quickly as hair loss is progressive and will not improve if untreated.

Justin Misko, MD
Lincoln Hair Restoration Surgeon

M-Pattern Balding in Female

It looks like you have an M-Pattern variation of female pattern balding, some women are born with an M-pattern hair line (male pattern hairline). An examination of your scalp will confirm if the hair loss affects other areas. Hair restoration if performed correctly by a qualified, experienced full-time hair restoration surgeon can very successful. BTW, still use Ludwig scale (however, imperfect). Minoxidil is reasonable to use but results vary. Propecia is not FDA approved for use in women and because of congenital side effects should not be prescribed off label especially to women during child bearing years.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Understanding Hair loss and treatment options: prp and progesterone

This doesn't mean you will go bald like a male, necessarily. I suggest seeing an expert to evaluate and go over your condition and provide you information about your best treatment options. There are great non-invasive options like PRP/progesterone and/or hair transplantation. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Hair loss

What you are experiencing is not uncommon in women with a loss of the corner hairs to change the shape from a classic female pattern (concave) to a V shaped hairlines (male). This is commonly repaired with hair transplants (see link below) and the results are so good in our hands, that my wife and daughter-in-law had it done this year.If you see generalized thinning as well, we offer scalp micropigmentation for women which my daughter-in-law and my wife's daughter had done this year with great results (see below). If you write me, I can send you more links. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Future Hair Loss

Unfortunately, future hair loss is very difficult to predict.  Since you obtained your biopsy, at least you have the diagnosis of female pattern hair loss and not some other disorder that is causing your hair loss.  I would look at your family history to see what types of patterns people in your family have.  This will probably be the best predictor of where your hair loss is going. I do recommend that you continue to see your physician on the best course of treatment to help maintain your hair.  

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS
Portland Hair Restoration Surgeon