What am I supposed to do? I had a reduction done and now it's split? (Photos)

I have a breast reduction done and it got infected and split to the point you can see stitches and im on antibiotics and getting the dressing changed every day and the nurse wants me to go back to see the surgeon but im scared because he said it was all "normal" i just want some advise on what to do om in alot of pain

Open wounds

No its not normal, but it can happen in some individuals. Usually local wound care alone is enough to allow this to heal.  Best to follow closely with your surgeon.

Wounds after Breast Reduction

Thank you for your pictures.  Sorry for your issues.  You will need local would care with dressings.  Your surgeon can recommend which type of local wound care would be appropriate.  Please see him or her ASAP.

Best wishes 

Breast reduction

Wounds can come apart like this although it is very unusual. It will take time for the wounds to heal and you need to be seen regularly by your PS for regular dressings.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Skin Breakdown after Breast Reduction Surgery

Thank you for your question.  It appears that you have suffered from some skin necrosis along the margin of your skin flaps.  Skin necrosis is a well known complication after breast reduction surgery.  It is important that you see your plastic surgeon regularly to follow the progression of your wound.  Most of the time, the wounds can be managed non-operatively.  If the wound is infected, operative debridement may be needed.  After completely healing, scar revision may be necessary to improve your scars.  It is important that you follow up with your plastic surgeon on a regular basis. 

Nicholas Jones, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Listen to your nurse; best to follow with your plastic surgeon...

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced; Although understandably distressing to patients, these types of wounds tend to heal over the course of several weeks. Sometimes, as you know, the area may look worse before it looks better. Most often, even larger open wounds have healed by the time a patient reached the two months post op mark.

These wounds go on to heal through a process of contraction where the tissues heal from the sides towards the center of the wound; occasionally, removal of unhealthy tissue (debridement) and/or removal of exposed sutures, may expedite the healing process.  

Also important to concentrate on a healthy diet, including good protein source.  Sometimes (depending on the width of the open wound and the appearance of the scar in the longer term), scar revision surgery may be helpful down the line.

Breast Reduction

The tightness in the T area split and this is difficult to deal with, however it should heal in about two or three weeks with local wound care and help from your plastic surgeon.