Surgery for hollow temple and scar removal in scalp.

I had surgery done on my head to remove a tumor, leaving me with a hollow temple and scar in my scalp that is a bit above the temple but slightly to the center of the head . I want to know if fat injections to fill the temple hollow and scalp scar removal procedures can be performed together, without causing problems, particularly to the injected temple area?

Fat grafting

Hello and thank you for your question. You may be a candidate for fat grafting to your temple.  This can work in the right patient.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Thank you for your excellent question.  Because of the inelasticity of the scalp skin if a scar revision would require extensive dissection of your tissues, or tension to the temple region, it would be best to stage these procedures.  If the revision would not require disturbing the temple then the fat grafting could also be performed at that time.  Hope this helps.