What is the best filler for a facial temple that is extremely hollowed ?

I have a very hollowed temple from prior tumor removal surgery to the head and would like to know what facial fillers would be best to fill in the hollow and would artificial inflatables or fat filler be best? Thank you.

Hollow temples treated with injectable fillers

Hollow or sunken temples may give an aged appearance that patients like to improve. Many plastic surgeons and dermatologists treat the area by augmenting with fillers or fat injections. The choice of filler is largely dependent on the physician and all considered off-label. Some have used Sculptra, Radiesse, Juvederm, Voluma, Restylane, etc for example. Fat injections is another option to consider for facial rejuvenation.Best,Dr. Chaboki

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler for the temples

Filling the temples (or temple if it is asymmetric from surgery) can give excellent cosmetic results but must be done with extreme care by a core cosmetic physician who understands the anatomy and risks.  There are 98 published cases in the world literature of blindness from injectables in the face (fat, fillers, steroids etc) and the temple is one of the higher risk zones.  That is a small number compared to the millions of cases that have been done worldwide,however it is not reversible.  Your physician must disclose that risk to you as part of informed consent.  Depending upon the degree of the hollowness and your medical history, improvement can be obtained using Sculptra or any one of a number of hyaluronic acid fillers.  For the temples I tend to use Sculptra (a liquid) or a diluted hyaluronic acid like Restylane.  I like to dilute my hyaluronic acid with sterile saline for that area to improve spread and reduce the discomfort and the temporary accentuation of the veins in the area that are common with thicker formulas.  When using hyaluronic acid for that area, I also often use a cannula to reduce the risk of arterial injection.  The caveate is if you have scar tissue from your surgery, it may not be as easy to use a cannula so a needle could be used to inject deeply and safely.  Also if it is contracted from surgery, you may wish to improve the area slowly to reduce post injection soreness.  The great news is that the temples are not a mobile area (not a lot of movement) so filler tends to last very well there.I hope this answer was helpful.  Best of luck!

Heidi A. Waldorf, MD

Juvederm VOLUMA vs FAT

Both options are good. Juvederm VOLUMA will or should last 2 years. Results predictable. Fat transfer also possible, results not as predictable, but last longer. All the best, Dr Davin Lim Laser and aesthetic dermatologist, Brisbane. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist