Any hope of sculpting and refining my bulbous tip? (photo)

I've always disliked my nose. It's got very little definition and has a bulbous tip. As a result I've always hated my photo taken and am self-conscious when I smile. Can this tip be sculpted to look better?

Doctor Answers 7

Bulbous tip

A rhinoplasty done by a well qualified Plastic Surgeon can certainly improve the looks and shape of your nose. 

Your expectations, realistic improvements, the present shape, the skin, cartilage and bone structure of your nose will have to be evaluated by a personal examination and discussion with a Plastic Surgeon. 

I would therefore recommend you to make an appointment with a Plastic Surgeon of your choice.

Evansville Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Sculpting and refining a bulbous tip?

The areas that concern you can be realistically improved with an artistically performed rhinoplasty by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in performing nasal surgery. There are a variety surgical techniques that can be utilized depending on your particular anatomy and desired outcome.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best surgery. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. If you are seeking a plastic surgeon out of the United States, he or she should be a member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Any hope of sculpting and refining my bulbous tip?

The tip can be refined, and the alar base can be reduced.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD

Los Angeles, CA

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 492 reviews

Sculpting a bulbous nasal tip

With thick skin and poorly defined cartilage, there will be some limitiation on tip definition, but a skilled rhinoplasty surgeon can combine tip grafting with conservative resection to achieve an excellent result. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Bulbous tip refinement

A bulbous tip is refined through rhinoplasty by suture techniques to the lower lateral cartilages and sometimes a conservative cartilage removal. When there are wide nostrils, an alar plasty is performed. All this can be done through closed rhinoplasty techniques, as an outpatient surgical procedure. For many examples please see  the link below.

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 143 reviews

Rhinoplasty for the African American nose.

Rhinoplasty for the African American nose involves refining your tip and slightly narrowing the nostril width. Make sure you go to a very experienced surgeon who does NATURAL AA noses. 

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Bulbous tip

Thank ou for the photos and obviusly a complete exam would be helpful but from what I can see you should get a significant improvement with your nose and tip with surgery. Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 61 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.