Any Hope of Recovery After a Bad Result After Cool Sculpt on my Abdomen?

I had Cool Sculpt done over 3 months ago on my lower abdomen. The area is now bigger and also weirdly inflated with a texture as if a rubber bumper had been inserted there. Is there any chance that this will go away? It is unsightly, uncomfortable and prevents my clothes from fitting properly.

CoolSculpting side effects and complications

CoolSculpting is very safe when considering the number of treatments that have been rendered. That is not to say that a unique circumstance couldn't occur for an individual. Your unique situation must be evaluated in person with a physical examination before any doctor could comment on the possible recovery. 

CoolSculpting can cause swelling (edema) but this is rare three months later. Other possibilities are to rule out coexistent and coincidental hernias and inflammatory healing. I have found external ultrasound therapy to help but this is not commonly available. Lymphatic massage with Endermologie and Velashape may help but I can not comment on your specific condition. Finally, paradoxical adipose hypertrophy ( fat enlargement) which is extremely rare. The last time I checked with a national expert of Zeltiq CoolSculpting there were less than 15 cases known to the company of such a condition. At this time there is not a consensus of the best treatment for this enlargement. Possibly liposuction may help but this would be theoretical and as a surgical procedure, there are risks with such a treatment that would have to be discussed with your doctor.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting on the abdomen

Coolsculpting works extremely well especially on isolated areas of the abdomen, and flanks, and love handles.  The new applicator for the inner and outer thighs works very well and is not painful.  The fact that your lower abdomen is bigger means that it needs to re-examined in person.  I would return to your treating physician for analysis.  Please let me know the status of your situation.

Unhappy with Coolsculpting

We have been performing Coolsculpting since FDA approval three years ago and we are very selective in patients that we treat and select for treatment. Those with fibrous large pendulous fat will not respond as well as those with soft fat that pinches between the fingers.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Dissatisfied with Cool Sculpting Results

Thank you for your question. I suggest you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, and have your skin evaluated, and determine what options you have available.  Options range from liposuction, to Tummy tuck, and even doing nothing.  Then you can decide what is best for you and your condition. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after CoolSculpting

Dear Donna, The event you are describing, if related to CoolSculpting, is extremely rare. I have seen something similar to what you describe in 1 out of 1,000 to 2,000 treatments in my practice. It improves dramatically with a course of oral prednisone and various local contouring treatments. Please have a follow up consultation with your doctor, so that a proper evaluation is done. You might be having an event related to CoolSculpting, or you might not. You need the doctor to properly evaluate the treated area. Let me know if I can be of further assistance or advice. Best regards from Miami, Dr. Bowes