Severe nipple tenderness 6 months after breast enlargement

i had my breast enlargement 6 months ago, terrible shooting rolling pain in left breast for severel weeks and some numbness just after opp then all ok nurse said it was most likely nerve damage, but recently my left nipple has become very very tender if anything brushes against it, so much so i have to wear nipple covers also i have noticed a small lump just below it, could this be nerves recovering,have doctors appointment tommorow

Nipple Tenderness 6 Months Post Surgery

Based on your description, your pain is likely due to a nerve stretch injury or direct trauma to the nerve during placement of your implants. The nerves to the nipple (primarily the 4th intercostal nerve) are very small and can easily be stretched or damaged by a breast implant resulting in some temporary sensation changes, such as numbness or pain. The fact that it is persisting after 6 months warrants another exam by your surgeon. Statistically speaking, the discomfort should improve over time, but icing, over-the-counter pain medications, and occasionally prescription level medications designed for nerve pain can be helpful as well. The best person to know what is going on is your original surgeon, so I'm glad you have a visit with him or her soon.

Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Nerve pain?

In my opinion, this is a pretty normal presentation of what we would call neurogenic pain.  In my patients, with these symptoms, we have recommended frequent stimulation with a textured surface such as a washcloth twice a day for a few weeks.  This has been very successful in calming those sensitive nerves down. I recommend you discuss this with your plastic surgeon. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Nipple hypersensitivity

Nipple hypersensitivity can occur and for the vast majority of patients resolves on its own. In my experience changes can occur for up to eighteen months after surgery. Keep your appointment with your surgeon.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your nipple sensitivity.  After an augmentation the nerves of the skin are stretched as a result of swelling and the increased volume of the implants. This stretching irritates the nerves which can cause a number of different nipple and breast skin sensations including increased/decreased sensitivity or a burning/electrical feeling.  That said at 6 months much of this should have resolved.  Luckily you are seeing your surgeon tomorrow for an in-person exam, he should be able to determine the cause of your symptoms and offer treatment advice.