Any Hope for an Upturned/pointy Nose to Be Corrected with Rhinoplasty?

A few years ago, I decided I wanted to have a nose job to correct my pointy nose. I didn't think it would be a difficult surgery since I like how my nose looks from the front view and I don't have any bumps or problems with the bridge of my nose. However, I met with one plastic surgeon who told me my nose would be difficult to perform and I would need to seek a doctor who specializes in rhinoplasty. Tip work can be tricky and I am afraid I will look worse Or my nose will appear more upturned

Doctor Answers 6

Correcting an upturned/pointy nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is possible to improve the appearance of an upturned tip. Having a rhinoplasty performed by an experienced and board certified rhinoplasty specialist would be the best choice. Look for board certification and credentials, a variety of before and after photos, and fantastic patient testimonials. Your prospective surgeon may use computer imaging software to give you an idea of how the final result may appear. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 49 reviews

Turned up tip of the nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You got good advice.  You need a surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty.  There are excellent techniques to turn down and reposition the tip, but you need a surgeon who does it often.  You should discuss this in detail with your surgeon.  I have placed a link below to an example.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upturned/pointy nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This can be addressed quite easily with an open rhinoplasty where the tip can be addressed precisely. However, for optimal results, it is important to work with a surgeon who is quite experienced in rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty Specialist

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank the surgeon who recommended that you see a surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty surgery. Most surgeons acknowledge that this is one of the most challenging cosmetic operations we do. If you select an experienced surgeon, he/she will explain the alternatives and possible risks of your surgery. Having said that, most people have significant improvement with little risk in experienced hands. I need to have pictures to make more specific recommendations.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Correcting an upturned nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Although it is hard to tell without seeing your pictures what you are describing is possibly correctable such as the example in the link below

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 231 reviews

The Upturned or Short Nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

     If your nose is long enough by your standards the tip can be effectively lowered or derotated.  If you need a little more length and the tip to be lowered or derotated, this can be done as well.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.