When do I stop taking the muscle relaxer?

I had a tummy tuck and breast reduction surgery 8 days ago. I stopped my prescription pain med on Monday evening and am only taking OTC meds for pain. I've kept taking the muscle relaxer but want to stop it now, too. My question is - what are the signs that tell you you're ready to stop the muscle relaxer?

Talk to your Plastic Surgeon about Medication Use

Prescription #medication is not a matter other surgeons or physicians than your own can advise on, without seeing you in-person or knowing your #medical history and surgical details. Therefore, its best to ask your surgeon this and about any additional medication use you have concerns about.

Greetings 

Thank you for your question, this differs for every patient and surgeon it is beat that you contact your Surgeon to ask for the right advice.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Muscle relaxer

Hi, Chrysalis72
Each plastic surgeon differs in our surgical and post-surgical protocol.  
You should ask your plastic surgeon for his/her preference.
I ask my patients to start weaning muscle relaxer after one week.
Best regards.

Mommy Makeover

Hi & thank you for your question.
Every surgeons post op instructions differ. It is best to contact your surgeon for his/her recommendation on this . Best of luck & enjoy your results!

I appreciate your question.

Best to discuss with your surgeon as each surgeon has their specific post op protocol and he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Ask your surgeon

Since every surgeon has his or her own post op protocol and only your surgeon knows the intricacies of your individual case, you need to speak with your surgeon about the muscle relaxers. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Surgery

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well. I recommend you to always follow your plastic surgeon instructions about the medication and the way you have to take it per day

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Muscle relaxer

You need to ask YOUR surgeon that question. I have both used and not used muscle relaxers over the past twenty-five years and have found no meaningful benefit from them so I do not use them anymore. I have found that maintaining full and complete range of motion of the arms offers far more in terms of pain relief and most patients require little to no prescription pain medication  beyond 24-48 hours at the most.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Muscle relaxant

If you have weaned yourself off the prescription pain medication, then you can also wean yourself off the muscle relaxants.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

I generally give a muscle relaxer prescription to last around one week. It is rare that my patients ask for more after this first week.