Would I be a good candidate for a breast reduction and a panniculectomy? The panni is not that important. (photos)

I am 38 years old 264 pounds, 5"8 and a size 42G bra. I have asthma, high blood pressure and am pre-diabetic. I have debated this for years and should have done it before the hbp and pre-diabetes, but have been afraid of being put under. At this point, the back pain is so bad that I am ready to go through with it. My previous pcp said that I need to lose weight before considering this and I have lost a small amount, but the pain makes it difficult to do a lot of exercise.

Would I be a good candidate for a breast reduction and a panniculectomy?

Yes, you would be a very good candidate for those procedures, but not before you reduce your BMI below 35. The risks are too high to undertake purely elective surgery at your current weight.

Breast Reduction

You appear to be a good candidate for a breast reduction.  This should alleviate many of your back/neck/shoulder symptoms.  It is a safe surgery but probably best not to combine with another surgery as it can take over 3 hours to complete. 

Breast reduction

You definitely look like you could benefit from a breast reduction, but losing weight and getting medical clearance will be necessary. Best of luck.

Would I be a good candidate for a breast reduction and a panniculectomy? The panni is not that important.

You first option is weight loss before considering surgery. See your primary doctor to try a weight loss program... Than see a few boarded PSs to discuss surgical options... 

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. It will likely be in your best interest to reach a long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with the surgery. Doing so will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation while decreasing risk, and will minimize chances that additional surgery will be necessary subsequently.  It may also be in your best interests to recruit the help of other professionals such as weight loss specialists (physicians), personal trainer, and/or nutritionists to help you get where you want to be. Best wishes.

Weight reduction is important

Thank you for your pictures. I agree with your PCP that weight loss prior to any surgery would be beneficial for you.  This would reduce the complication rate for surgery and anesthesia.

Horndeski Methodâ„¢ Reduction

At 5’8 and 264 lbs, your BMI is 40, which puts you at a high risk for complications.I advise you to lose weight prior to surgery.This would also help your pre-diabetes and high blood pressure.For the breasts, I recommend a new technique called The Horndeski Method™.The breast tissue is reshaped creating upper pole fullness, elevated higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the traditional technique, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed.The weight of the breast is transferred to the underlying muscle resulting in immediate pain relief without excessive reduction.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon