Is 520 grams removed from each breast going to leave me too small? (Photo)

I'm scheduled for an upcoming breast reduction. I'm 5'7", 175, and have an hourglass figure. I currently wear a 32GG bra. Insurance is covering my surgery but my surgeon needs to remove 520 grams from each breast for it to be covered. Will this leave me too small? By the way, I'm getting a tummy tuck, too. I really like my surgeon and we've discussed it but need some additional opinions, too.

Breast reduction and tummy tuck, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

For safety reasons, to be a good candidate for breast reduction + Tummy tuck at the same time, your labs and cardiovascular preoperative evaluation must be optimal.
Therefore, you must be a healthy person, within an appropriate BMI and no history of diseases that increase the surgical / anesthetic risk degree.
Finally, I recommend you a skilled certified plastic surgeon in body contouring surgery and experienced in cases like yours where the planned operating time is less than five hours.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Tough to answer wihtout an examination

The weight of your breasts can't be determined without seeing you in person and examining you, so it's really tough to answer that.  It's also hard to know what "too small" means to you because each person has a different idea of what a beautiful breast looks like.  Hopefully, you feel that you have communicated what your goals are and perhaps brought pictures in and shown your plastic surgeon- miscommunication is a set up for disappointment.  That being said, in my opinion and without examining you, I think 520 grams would leave you smaller than would be proportionate for the rest of your body and your hourglass shape.  But that is only an educated guess through one photo.

520 grams per breast

I think that an exam in person would be helpful to assess the weight of your breasts. You are right to be concerned, because if your breasts are more sagging than full of tissue, a 500 gm reduction in some cases can make breasts small. 

Breast reduction-too small?

If you are a true G cup, then 520 grams is a small reduction. I typically remove close to 1000 on patients with this cup size. My suspicion is that your chest circumference is actually larger than 32 and that your cup size us smaller.

Breast reduction amount

It's normal to want to get confirmation opinions to ensure you've made the correct decision, but the question you ask is a very technical question that is not possible to answer with clarity and certainly without a close-up personal examination.  It sounds like you might want to spend more time with your surgeon.  There are additional nuances of course you should discuss with your surgeon to make sure your'e a good candidate.

Is 520 grams removed from each breast going to leave me too small?

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Your plastic surgeon, who has had the benefit of in-person evaluation and a full communication of your goals, will be your best resource when it comes to helping you decide whether or not to proceed with the "insurance-based" breast reduction procedure. Online consultants' advice will be much less precise/vauluable.

Given that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating with your plastic surgeon. Show him/her what size breast size you would like to achieve; in my practice I asked patience to use as many "visual aids" as possible. Also show him/her what you would consider to be too large and too small.  Avoid terminology such as "C or D," or "proportionate"; these terms can be a source of miscommunication.

Working together you will be able to make good decisions. Best wishes with your upcoming procedures.

Breast Reduction of 520 grams per side?

I also think that you don't look anywhere near a GG cup size.  If I'm correct you're barely a DD cup and that sounds like a large reduction for someone of that size.  You and your surgeon may be caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place depending on your insurance company requirements.  Discuss with him/her what your priorities are so he/she can make decisions if necessary during the surgery as to how small you would find to be acceptable.
Also, consider how many hours the combined TT and breast reduction will require and the safety of combining the procedures.  Best wishes for an excellent result from your procedure.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Insurance plans have minimum amounts of breast tissue removal to gain coverage. I bet your health plan requires 500 grams per side. If you desire to pay fir ALL these surgeries than have more a lift than reduction.