Would that work for me? (Photos)

I'm 5"5 122lbs I currently have 625cc mod profile smooth round saline above the muscle. I have rippling and capsule and I'm thinking of doing 800cc silicone gel under the muscle would that be a right decision? Do I need a lift also?

Would That Work for You

It is not uncommon to change positions if you are deemed a candidate to do so per the condition of your current implants and pocket. There are some studies that report a lesser incidence of firm capsules with placement behind the pectoralis muscle. If you developed firm capsules and your implants were submammary (behind the breast tissue) then conversion to a #submuscular position should be considered. This #placement is particularly better for the very thin patient who has little breast or fat in the upper part of their chest. In most circumstances, those patients with #ptosis (#sagging) require placement above the muscle in a #submammary position or under the muscle combined with a mastopexy (breast lift) for #contour purposes.

Increasing your current implant #size may cause additional #sagging and may not be a sound idea. Also, some patients will experience better results to restore superior fullness if a breast lift is included with their #augmentation or #revision; better known as #AugmentationMastopexy. Altogether, the surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the nipple and areolae of the desired size and correct height may also be addressed. I prefer to use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.

Your Plastic Surgeon needs to measure you and determine the best shape and size of any implants that are used. Any cosmetic #revision has risks of unhappy outcome or other complications. Also, the right implant for the revision is contingent on shape of body and your desired outcome.

Revision of large implant results

The saline implants you have now are known to produce rippling and scalloping of the perimeter that can be seen under the skin.  Placement below the muscle will help reduce this.  Capsule formation is inherent with any implant, but the severity of capsule thickness can lead to deformity or displacement as well as firmness.  I would caution you against going bigger because the weight will cause more rapid sagging over time along with back pain and shoulder strap grooves.  Discuss your desires with your surgeon and plan to bring in photos of models with breasts that you like as well as what you don't like.  

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Would that work for me?

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. Based on the fact you are experiencing rippling and encapsulation, conversion to the sub muscular pocket sounds like a very good idea.  Whether or not you will be able to have a larger breast implant utilized and/or require breast lifting I cannot tell you based on the single photograph. In person evaluation would be necessary to give you meaningful advice. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Implant exchange

Changing to silicone implants beneath the muscle will probably disguise them better and improve the rippling.  The old capsule can be removed at that time.  Bigger implants will give you more of a lift.  Whether or not you want even larger breasts, or if you want a lift, is a personal choice.

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon