Will strenuous exercise after a breast augmentation be allowed? How long after if I'm planning on under the muscle? (Photos)

I'm 35, 5'8" and, am losing weight right now-I am planning on getting back down to 140lb. I am currently a deflated 34C after having one child. When I'm at my normal weight I'm about 140lb/32C. I'm thinking of 450cc silicone, round, smooth, under the muscle. I really enjoy working out, including weight lifting and intense cardio. Just want to make sure I'll be able to get back to it at some point after surgery & how long before I get back to the pre-BA weight lifting? Are my wish boobs too big?

Excersicing after breast augmentation

I usually have my patients wait at least 4 weeks before I clear them to return to lifting weights, doing cardio or running.  Lighter activity is allowed before then but if you return to strenuous activity too soon, it may not only be painful but may cause bleeding, increased swelling and shifting of the implants before the capsule heals.  C cups are probably the most commonly requested size, and in my practice the most common implant size ranges between 400- 425cc so 450cc is not too far off.  If you are currently a deflated 34C you should be able to achieve the volume of the breasts you are desiring (which looks like a full D cup), but you really need to be examined in person to evaluate your overall chest and breast dimensions and your tissue qualities to see if anticipated size will fit within your breast footprint and if your tissues will accommodate it.  Your board certified plastic surgeon can assist you in choosing the implant that is right for you.  There are many options these days for breast implants, including the newer more natural looking, more durable and longer lasting "Gummy Bear" style highly cohesive anatomically shaped silicone gel implants that are very popular in my practice.  Best wishes.

Strenuous exercise after a breast augmentation

Generally I recommend casual walking after 1 week, walking for exercise at about 2 weeks[treadmill ok, elliptical not ok], and more strenuous exercise after 4-6 weeks.
Every patient and every surgery is different, so your recovery may affect this timeline; and will be closely monitored by me for the first 6 weeks.
Mahalo, Dr D

Kevin Dieffenbach, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

While light activity is usually encouraged after breast augmentation, strenuous activity such as weight lifting or exercise which overly taxes your upper extremity muscles is generally discouraged for about 8 weeks after surgery.  However, you can expect return to full activity once you have healed.

John Burns, MD

When can I workout?

Thank you for your recent question and photos! Each surgeon has there own guidelines, however in my office I allow my patients to return to light aerobic activities at 3 weeks post-op.  They are allowed to do lifting as well with the exception of chest exercise for at least the next 4 weeks.  I inform my patients if they return to chest exercises keep in mind building the chest wall could push the implants apart taking away from the cleavage.  Hope this helps!

Exercise Limitations After A Breast Augmentation

For the first 3 days after a breast augmentation, a patient should limit her activities to staying completely housebound and not doing anything strenuous so that the small clots on all the small capillaries remain in place.  This decreases the chance of oozing which causes bruising and increases the chance of a capsular contracture.

On the 4th and 5th days, patients re-enter society, but again limit their exercise to the activities of daily living.  Most of my patients are driving their cars on the 4th or 5th day but not lifting anything more than 10 pounds, with intermittent periods of rest so as not to strain your temporarily injured muscles and soft tissue.

At the end of one week, my patients can go on long walks up to 3-4 miles at a relatively slow pace. 

Since I put my implants in through the armpit which is completely healed at about 6 days, I recommend my patients go swimming, if they swim, at the end of two weeks.  This gently gets injured muscles moving. 

At the end of three weeks, my patients are back in the gym doing lower body exercises.  I recommend push ups and bench pressing begin between the 4th and 6th weeks post augmentation.  At the end of four weeks, wearing a double sports bra, my patients are allowed to resume bouncing exercises such as running, aerobics, and horseback riding. 

Each plastic surgeon has his or her own paradigme for beginning both the activities of daily living and progressing to strenuous exercise.  Once you choose one of the excellent Board Certified plastic surgeons in Honolulu, I suggest you follow his post surgical exercise recommendations.

Exercise after breast augmentation under the muscle.

In general, you should wait about 3 weeks before restarting any aerobic type of exercise. You do not want to increase your heart rate, increase blood pressure, and have a bleeding problem. Weights for your abdomen and legs can also be done after 3 weeks. Weights and upper body exercises should be done at least 6 weeks after surgery. You can start some light walking a few days after your procedure (like a stroll in the park pace). Check with your surgeon. Surgeons vary quite a bit on this topic, but it is an important one for those with an active lifestyle.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Exercise After Breast Augmentation

Ask your surgeon for post operative instructions.  In general, most patients resume exercise within 4 to 8 weeks following surgery.  Light exercise such as walking usually is resumed 4 to 7 days after surgery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Four to six weeks

Most surgeons will allow upper body exercises after four to six weeks but make sure to get clearance from your surgeon.  Lower body exercise such as walking, treadmill and elliptical are usually allowed after a day or two.  Long term implications on weight lifting should not be a problem.  Your implant size choice does not seem unreasonable but make sure you discuss your concerns with sizing with your surgeon.  Best of luck with your surgery and please update the group as you recover. 

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Exercise?

Thank you for your question. Most patients are cleared to exercise by 6 weeks following breast augmentation. You may return to walking and light lifting sooner, but would not perform any strenuous activity without clearance from your surgeon. It is best to have an in-person follow up examination for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing at this time. Good luck with your recovery.

Exercise After Breast Augmentation

This is something you should discuss with your surgeon, for my patients, I want them to wait 4 to 6 weeks before starting formal exercise and then it should be gradual without pushing yourself. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD