What size silicone implant will look the most natural on my body? (photos)

I'm 5'7, 125lbs, athletic slim build. At my consultation I came in with the notion that I wanted 300cc silicone implants. The doctor said with my build and 8 inches of breast tissue(?) I could go as high as 400cc. I decided on that, but upon further consideration, I decided that it was too big. I'm going for a very natural look, I'm very modest, I would be happier going smaller than too big. Next consultation I think I'll try on a 350cc, any suggestions?

Implant Size

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body. 

Consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Natural breast augmentation

Your athletic slim build would do well with the original 300cc you mentioned.  I agree that 400 may be too big to look "natural", but biometric measurements will provide a range.  But in addition to the size, implant shape, cohesivity, and surface texture will be variables to consider.  Bring in photos of models with your body type with breasts that you like and don't like and have an in depth discussion with your surgeon to provide your desired results.

What size silicone implant will look the most natural

Aloha, because you are fairly tall/athletic/lean and with a narrow chest, you should consider the Tear-drop shaped Gummy bear implants to get the most natural result. A round implant might be ok, but will tend to give more upper fullness. What looks 'natural' or best is up to you. The volume would depend on your actual chest measurements, but I would agree that really big isn't always really better! It would be best for you to visit an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for an in-depth consultation to review your options. Mahalo, Dr D

Kevin Dieffenbach, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   people keep saying that under the muscle does decrease some of the projection. Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

What size silicone implant will look the most natural on my body?

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.  

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.   Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “very natural” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice. 3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery for petite patients) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Breast implant size/volume

Think about what cup size you would like to end up at. Then by trying on implant sizes of different volumes you will have a better idea of how many cc's (roughly) will be needed to achieve that goal. Of course your skin quality, chest wall and current breast tissue factor into this decision greatly. Based on your photos I agree that you would likely be happier with an implant (moderate plus) close to 350 than 400, but this is something you can discuss in person with your plastic surgeon. I like to use sizers during the surgery which also helps guide the process of evaluating how many cc's the soft tissue can accommodate.
Best wishes,Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Implant size depends on your measurements and dimensions

Hello and thank you for your question! When thinking about sizing for breast implants, I want to start off with what I tell many of my patients: Do not focus on cc's or bra sizes as many women see their friend with "x" number of cc implants etc and think that they have an idea of what they want. There is a lot that goes into implant selection -- your breast volume, the amount of cleavage you want to achieve, your base width, your rib shape/projection, etc. Also, when it comes to bra sizes, most women are not accurately sized for their bras. Please keep in mind that a breast implant is a round object and has a certain diameter. Your base width on each side of your chest will determine "how big of a ball" or what diameter implant you can reliably go up to with a socially acceptable cosmetic outcome. The implant will "augment" or increase the size of your breasts to an amount acceptable to you and your surgeon. There is no correlation between height and weight and base width; therefore you need an in person examination to be accurately measured. 
The most important thing to consider is really the size and look that is appealing to YOU with the implants you choose. Many surgeons have sizing models whether using bras with implants or computer simulation. I encourage you to discuss with your surgeon many of these considerations when deciding which implant and size to use during your surgery.
My own patients will try on a sports bra and then we pick the implants based on their measured breast base width. For example, if your base width were to support for example up to a 400cc implant, I would have you try on the 400cc implants in the bra and then the 350cc or 385cc implants and afterwards select the implant that made YOU the happiest. In reality, don't stress too much as this is not a HUGE difference and should be the fun part of the process. Go with what is acceptable based on your measurements and makes you happiest and make sure to weigh the pros and cons of the options you are considering. You can also compare the moderate profile with high profile implants and see which look you like most. The profile of the implant will determine how
much upper pole fullness and overall projection you portray.
Make sure to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in aesthetic breast surgery. I hope this helps answer your question and if you are uncertain about the recommendations made by the surgeon you met with recently, I encourage you to get further consultations. I wish the best of luck to you.
Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD