New bruising noticed 8 days post op. (photos)

I am 8 days post op from breast augmentation and a mastopexy periareolar. I just noticed this bruising on the bottom of my left breast. 450cc on left side 415 on right side. No pain, swelling is going down slowly for the left side since surgery day.

Bruising after augmentation/mastopexy

Your bruising appears to be a little more than would be expected.  The fact that you are not having pain and the swelling is going down is a good sign.  A hematoma will usually present within the first few days after surgery, but it is possible to develop bleeding later on.

I would recommend seeing your plastic surgeon so he/she can evaluate you in person.

Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Post Op Bruising

Thank you for your question and photos. It is normal for bruising to settle and work it's way to the surface with gravity a week or so after surgery. The fact that you note swelling is decreasing and not increasing is a good sign but I would still recommend that you let your Plastic Surgeon know about any concerns so that they can advise you.

All the best

New Bruising 8 Days Post Mastopexy With Implants

Congratulations on what appears to be a well done Benelli mastopexy. 

Whether one has a breast augmentation or a breast lift with implants, the implant pocket very often contains some red blood cells free in that pocket (even after washing out the area prior to suturing and even if the patient has a drain present post surgery). 

A bruise is actually hemaglobin from broken red blood cells.  Hemaglobin is, in fact, a red pigment and due to gravity, most bruising usually ends up at the bottom of the breast.  Because of the thickness of breast tissue, this pigment often takes days or even weeks to migrate to the skin surface leading to the appearance of a bruise on the skin.

Obviously, without an in person exam, none of your online RealSelf experts can tell you if this is just a bruise or something more than that.  However, from your history of selling going down, I would say you have an excellent chance of this just being a bruise. 

I suggest you pose this question about the bruising to your personal plastic surgeon who should be best capable of telling you whether this is of any concern or not.

Bruising 8 days post op aug/pexy

Thank you for your question and photos.  Yes, this is normal and will resolve on it's own.  You may have had a small hematoma that is now presenting it self due to gravity.  The swelling is getting better and you have no pain, so I wouldn't worry.  You can always see your PS if any concerns for re-assurance.  

Chad Robbins, MD