Is it better to lose weight before surgery? Like 30-40 lbs?

I was thinking instead of having bigger breasts to accommodate my weight right now should I try to achieve my goal weight before getting Breast implants. As of right now im looking to get 600cc on one side and 700 on the other but it looked great at my current weight. Im thinking of going smaller so that I dont look top heavy when I actually make that weight goal. I am 5'9 and about 200 lbs. just want to get an idea of what you folks think.

Weight loss before or after breast augmentation

Balance your bodysculpting goals by obtaining consultations with several surgeons before committing to any procedure.  Bodyshaping is a huge investment and the final results with current and future weight changes may need to be carefully planned.  We usually want a stable weight for several months that will be reasonably maintained before planning on what type of figure to design for you.  Breast shape and size is commonly biometrically determined today and the options for choice of shape, volume, and projection have never been as wide and varied, but the final choices must balance your figure and meet with your desired goals.

Better to lose weight before surgery?

Aloha Maile,
Losing 30-40 lbs can significantly affect your breast size and also create sagging that may require a lift. We would recommend that you have a consultation with a Plastic Surgeon who is qualified and experienced to recommend what is best for you.
Thanks, Dr D

Kevin Dieffenbach, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss Prior to Augment

Significant weight loss or gain will change the size of the implant needed to achieve your goals.  This is especially true when you need two different sizes.  Lose the weight first, then get the surgery.  It will limit your chances of being dissatisfied or needing a revisional procedure.

Goal weight

if you have that much you would like to loose I would like to see you closer to your goal weight before having surgery.  In general 10-15 lbs will not make too much of a difference in most folks but everyone is different.  I would visit with a few BC PS in your area to learn more about options.

It is always better to be at your goal weight prior to augmentation. With weight loss, you might have some loose skin. If you loose weight first, the skin issue can be addressed during surgery and hopefully avoid a second procedure. Plus, you can make certain that the size selected looks best with your new weight.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Is it better to lose weight before surgery?

Thank you for your question.  It is better to be at your maintainable wait before you undergo any surgery.  Weight loss can affect the appearance of your breasts, and could possible require a breast lift after significant weight loss.  I would recommend losing the weight you plan to lose before you have your breast augmentation surgery to get optimal results from you procedure.  

If you would like more information regarding breast augmentation, you can download a free copy of my breast augmentation planner at

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss prior to Augmentation

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend that you visit with a few plastic surgeons to develop a proper plan.   My recommendation would be to get you to your goal weight first, then do a sizing process to deternine the best implant fit.    Your results will always be better and your surgery will always be safer at a lower weight/bmi.   All the best.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Weight loss and breast size

Weight loss is great for your health but is unpredictable when it comes to your breast size, shape and appearance. It's possible they could deflate and need a lift. Or they can maintain their size despite everything else getting smaller and necessitate a different profile implant. Ultimately the only way to know for sure is to lose the weight first. Set a rigid timeframe for the weight loss and stick to it.  Best of luck. 

Weight loss prior to surgery?

Hello, I recommend that my patients try to achieve their desired weight before considering any cosmetic surgery because the weight change could affect the result.  

Thank you for your question.  I would suggest that you get to your goal weight before getting a breast augmentation.  If you were to get breast implants now and loose weight, there is a good chance that with your large implants, you breasts will sag and might require a lift.  Once you get to your goal weight, it is possible that you will need a breast lift.  Regardless, please be seen in person by a board certified plastic surgeon to determine what would be best for you.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL