Can the right labia be shorter? (Photo)

I am concerned that the right portion of my labia pokes out too much. Can this possibly be made smaller?

Labiaplasty

Its possible to have a unilateral labiaplasty.  This will address your concern with minimal downtime and a lower cost.   

Shorter right labia?

A labiaplasty just on the right side will address your concern.  Our bodies are not symmetrical, so if you have extra tissue on just one side then we can correct just that side.  It can be done under local in the office or under sedation or anesthesia in the OR if you prefer.  Best wishes!

Maida Parkins, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Symmetry with labiaplasty

You are a good candidate for correction of asymmetry with unilateral labiaplasty.  Discuss the risks and recovery concerns with a qualified surgeon and ask to view photos of their results before committing to this procedure.  

Can the right labia be shorter?

There is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

Labia Concerns

Thank you for your question.  Yes, the right labia minora can be made smaller.  This would be concerned a labiaplasty.  Schedule a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to further discuss your concerns in detail.

Candidate for labiaplasty

Yes you appear to be a candidate but an in person consult is best. Find an experienced labiaplasty surgeon who can show you many before and after photos. Best wishes. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Labia Asymmetry

It is not uncommon to have some asymmetry in the labia.  A properly performed labiaplasty can correct the asymmetry and make your labia appear more even.  Visit with a board-certified surgeon to learn about the details of the procedure.  The surgery is done as an outpatient with a relatively easy recovery.  You should be very happy with the results.

Jeff T. Healy, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty: Create symmetry

Thank you for your question and sharing your photographs. Labiaplasty is a cosmetic procedure that may improve one's confidence and resolve physical issues that one may have with enlarged labia minora.  Clitoral hood reduction may also be indicated depending on the findings on physical examination. Labiaplasty with and without clitoral hood reduction is a personal decision after being well educated on the benefits and risks.  There are several techniques, which should be discussed with you by the surgeon.   In my practice, I discuss this with my patients in order to educate them on their cosmetic issue, the surgical options and possible outcomes so that they can make an educated decision. I would recommend finding an experienced genital surgeon, which include Cosmetic Urologists, even if it involves traveling.  

Best of luck.

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Can the right labia be shorter?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Some women may have, or develop asymmetrical labia minora that causes them functional or aesthetic concerns.  In the vast majority of cases this can be treated in order to order to create a more pleasing match.  Be sure to see a labiaplasty surgeon in consultation to maximize your results. 

Unilateral Labiaplasty

Yes! An experienced genital plastic/cosmetic surgeon (Plastic or Gyn) who is savvy BOTH in curvilinear/trim and V or V-Y Wedge procedures can evaluate your anatomy & choose the right procedure to "match" your smaller labum. Be a good consumer & advocate for yourself by doing your "due diligence" and seeking the best surgeon you can find. You may not find this person in Hawaii; don't hesitate to "travel;" you have only one chance to get it just right. The weblink below contains a few photos of unilateral LP. As a surgeon who performs both V-Wedge & linear techniques, I have been able to "match" virtually every woman who presents with dissymetry.

Michael P Goodman. MD

Davis, CA, USA