Can the right labia be shorter? (Photo)

I am concerned that the right portion of my labia pokes out too much. Can this possibly be made smaller?

Symmetry with labiaplasty

You are a good candidate for correction of asymmetry with unilateral labiaplasty.  Discuss the risks and recovery concerns with a qualified surgeon and ask to view photos of their results before committing to this procedure.  

Can the right labia be shorter?

There is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

Labia Concerns

Thank you for your question.  Yes, the right labia minora can be made smaller.  This would be concerned a labiaplasty.  Schedule a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to further discuss your concerns in detail.

Candidate for labiaplasty

Yes you appear to be a candidate but an in person consult is best. Find an experienced labiaplasty surgeon who can show you many before and after photos. Best wishes. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Labia Asymmetry

It is not uncommon to have some asymmetry in the labia.  A properly performed labiaplasty can correct the asymmetry and make your labia appear more even.  Visit with a board-certified surgeon to learn about the details of the procedure.  The surgery is done as an outpatient with a relatively easy recovery.  You should be very happy with the results.

Jeff T. Healy, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty: Create symmetry

Thank you for your question and sharing your photographs. Labiaplasty is a cosmetic procedure that may improve one's confidence and resolve physical issues that one may have with enlarged labia minora.  Clitoral hood reduction may also be indicated depending on the findings on physical examination. Labiaplasty with and without clitoral hood reduction is a personal decision after being well educated on the benefits and risks.  There are several techniques, which should be discussed with you by the surgeon.   In my practice, I discuss this with my patients in order to educate them on their cosmetic issue, the surgical options and possible outcomes so that they can make an educated decision. I would recommend finding an experienced genital surgeon, which include Cosmetic Urologists, even if it involves traveling.  

Best of luck.

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Reduce right labium

Your right labium  and right clitoral hood are enlarged. A good match with the left can be achieved, but you may need a minor left labiaplasty. However, it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks.  It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. I have done numerous asymmetrical labial reductions and have found that this technique achieves symmetry much better than the other techniques.  Since you have extra tissue on your right clitoral hood, it can be reduced it at the same time. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Can the right labia be shorter?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Some women may have, or develop asymmetrical labia minora that causes them functional or aesthetic concerns.  In the vast majority of cases this can be treated in order to order to create a more pleasing match.  Be sure to see a labiaplasty surgeon in consultation to maximize your results. 

Unilateral Labiaplasty

Yes! An experienced genital plastic/cosmetic surgeon (Plastic or Gyn) who is savvy BOTH in curvilinear/trim and V or V-Y Wedge procedures can evaluate your anatomy & choose the right procedure to "match" your smaller labum. Be a good consumer & advocate for yourself by doing your "due diligence" and seeking the best surgeon you can find. You may not find this person in Hawaii; don't hesitate to "travel;" you have only one chance to get it just right. The weblink below contains a few photos of unilateral LP. As a surgeon who performs both V-Wedge & linear techniques, I have been able to "match" virtually every woman who presents with dissymetry.

Michael P Goodman. MD

Davis, CA, USA

Labiaplasty

You are definitely a candidate for a labiaplasty procedure to make your labia more equal and symmetrical. Most women want the most aesthetically beautiful genital area they can have, thus I created my technique of doing labiaplasty called the True Labiaplasty. I recently presented my technique at the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery.

There are many types of labiaplasty procedures. I personally prefer my method of doing labiaplasty procedures using a modified posterior wedge technique. It can give you very good symmetry of the labia and it excises excess tissue around the clitoris (i.e. prepuce and clitoral hood) when needed.

It looks the best aesthetically, and postoperatively patients experience less pain, in my experience. In addition, many patients have more satisfying sex since the sensitive thin delicate labial edges are left intact. You can learn more on the link below.  Details are on my website on the link below. Your concerns are exactly the reason why I developed my technique. Good luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN