Can a doctor inject botox far below the masseter?

my masseter has bee treated w/ botox over 3 yrs now & I always got it right under my cheek bone. My new dr. Insisted she inject botox into my jawline (very bottom). I feel a pertruding muscle above the injection spot. Is it possible she went to low? Can I expect to see any result at all? I always get 20 units on both sides and it's perfect for my cosmetic wants. Can an increase in diameter from ear to ear make the nose loom wider? It's been one week since injection.

Injecting masseter with Botox

Not all docs are experienced with this injection. If done improperly, your smile can be affected. The trouble areas area injecting too high and too medially. Lower is safer to avoid the smile complications. If there is still too much movement in the masseter, go back for more Botox. Link talks about these injections.

Botox for Masseter Muscles

The typical place to inject is along the edge of the jawline.  I suggest you speak to your physician if you are concerned.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Off label injection

This is an off label use and should be evaluated in person. 

I would suggest you should be evaluated by a board certified dermatologist experienced in this procedure to advise you properly and address your concerns.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. You are correct the injection should be in the muscle above the jawline. Perhaps wait until the Botox settles and if you still have concerns, have them addressed by your injector. You may require another treatment. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Recheck with your doctor

The masseter muscle has superficial and deep heads which arise from the zygomatic arch, your lateral cheekbones. Botox is placed into these muscles to relax them.  It was your doctors first try with your anatomy and it sounds like an additional amount of Botox needs to be placed higher into your bulge. This should be fairly easy for your doctor, and next time you both can build from this experience and work to get it all done at one time.

Botox for masseter muscles

Botox is injected into the masseter muscles which can be felt when clenching the jaw.  If you still have some bulging of the muscles after 2 weeks, please return to your doctor for assessment.  You may require additional Botox.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Masseter injections...

Thank you for your question.  Botox for the masseter should be injected directly into the muscle.  This is easily palpable when clenching your jaw.  Anatomically the thickest part of the masseter arises from the zygoma (cheekbone) and then inserts into the mandible (jaw), due to this most people should be injected just inferiorly to the cheekbone.  Anatomy can differ from person to person so it is best to feel this by clenching your jaw and seeing where the belly of you muscle is.  If you do not improve within 2 weeks please follow up with your physician for revaluation and further treatment.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Masseter Injection and Botox

Masseter Injections and Botox need to be injected directly into the masseter muscle. If you do not have the results that you expect in two weeks you should return to your treating physician for examination.  Best, Dr. Green