Concerned about facial swelling 14 months post-op.

I have facial swelling 14 months post-op and I'm wondering If I may have nerve damage? The last 4 weeks it comes and goes. Very inconsistent swelling but never goes away completely.

Facial swelling at 14 months post op not typical

It is not normal to still have facial swelling at 14 months post op. You need to schedule an appointment with your surgeon to have this assessed in person and get the root of the issue. It's not something that can be diagnosed online, unfortunately.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Concerned about Facial Swelling 14 Months Post-Op

First and foremost, its best to remain patient. It is still early in to your recovery. The healing process in general can take up to one month for the majority of swelling to subside, incisions to close, sutures to come out, and for bruising to completely go away. 

#Recovery time from a #facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply.
The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen. If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Swelling at 14 months

Thank you for your question.  It is not typical at swelling and inflammation would still be present at 14 months.  Unfortunately without examining you giving you an answer or reason is not possible.  Please do seek advise from your plastic surgeon to ensure the healing process is normal and well.  All The Best 

Facelift #faceliftrecovery #fatgrafting #beauty #tmbcosmeticsurgery #woundhealing #fillers #jowls

Dear Pdcorazy

Thank you for your question!  Please check with your surgeon about your recovery.  There are multiple reasons for the post op course and there are multiple remedies!

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Facial swelling more than a year after surgery

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

• It isn't clear is your swelling has been present ever since surgery or just started.
  • If it is swelling you have had since surgery, and it is slowly improving but now coming and going, it may eventually subside.
  • It can take some people 18 months for all swelling to subside.
  • But if this is new - then you do need to see your surgeon to be checked and you may need to be your regular doctor also.
  • This long after a face lift, new swelling would be unlikely to be from the surgery.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Facial swelling

Facial swelling at this point following a a facelift is unusual. I doubt that it is related to nerve damage. Perhaps a permanent suture is causing some intermittent inflammation?

It is impossible to tell without examining you. Follow up with your plastic surgeon and I would also consider a second opinion if he isn't sure.

Best of luck

Guess you should return to Costa Rica to see your surgeon... Sounds like something is not right. Have you seen in Florida board PSs in paid second opinions? Old saying you get what you pay for might apply.