Is a compression garment really necessary and for how long?

I am having a full TT with lipo of the hips, waist and inner thighs. I have read about wearing a binder and my PS also will have me wear a compression garment for almost two months. Is that really necessary?

After the Tummy Tuck operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will have stiches and bandages which will be removed after the 10th day. You can start to do your daily activities 3 days after the operation but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Compression Standard After Tummy Tuck & Liposuction

The combination of a binder immediately after surgery and a compression garment for 3 to 6 weeks is a "standard" of care after tummy tuck/liposuction surgery. It provides support after muscle repair, decreases pain and swelling, and helps with daily activities in the initial weeks after surgery. The duration of compression garment application will depend on the extent of surgery and your particular patient postoperative course. This treatment shortens recovery time, prevents prolonged swelling and the formation of chronic seroma, and improves safety and healing in the early postoperative period. Good luck with your surgery.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Garments!! Faja

Thanks for your question!!

I have my liposuction patients wear a compression garment (faja) covering all treated 24/7 except to shower for 4 weeks post op. This helps ontrol swelling as the compression on your tissues helps your body to reabsorb the edema fluid that accumulates in the tissues after any procedure. This can take quite some time to happen without help from the compression garments. It also helps improve contour. Compression helps to keep the tissues adherent to the underlying structures while healing, this can help prevent the wrinkled skin appearance that can happen when the tissues heal in ways we don't want them to.

Compression garment

Hello dear, thanks for your post. When you have surgery, your skin goes through a lot! It's because of that, I always recommend my patients to wear a soft first stage garment right after the surgery and for at least a weak, to prevent burns and cuts.

Sometimes, depending on each patient's skin, garments can do serious burns and cuts on your skin, causing necrosis and even the loss of that burned skin.

After a week, you can change to a second stage garment, which is going to be really tight and it's the one that's going to project that curves you've always wanted to have!

I tell my patients to use it for 6 months, 2 months 24 hrs. and after that 12 hrs. But I recommend to sk to you PS because each surgeon has their own politics.

Good luck :) 

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Compression Garment

Thank you for your question. Compression garments help to improve your results by reducing swelling and are definitely necessary. We recommend wearing the compression garment for approximately 6 weeks following a tummy tuck and liposuction. I recommend consulting with your surgeon regarding their garment preference.

Dennis Hurwitz, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Are Compression Garments Necessary?

Yes, compression garments are necessary.

However, the length of time that patients need to wear the compression garments are variable, and based on the surgery performed, how the patient is healing, and surgeon preference.

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Multiple procedures, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
Yes, its necessary to have better results the compression garment.
For safety reasons, to be a good candidate for those procedures you want at the same time, your labs and cardiovascular preoperative evaluation must be optimal.
Therefore, you must be a healthy person, within an appropriate BMI and no history of diseases that increase the surgical / anesthetic risk degree.
Finally, I recommend you a skilled certified plastic surgeon in body contouring surgery and experienced in cases like yours where the planned operating time is less than five hours.
Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Compression after liposuction

Generally compression is required for some period of time after liposuction.  There is a space that is opened up when the cannula is slid back and forth to remove the fat.  This needs to heal and not fill with fluid while you are recovering.  The compression garment helps to reduce swelling, and prevent fluid accumulation that could be problematic over the long term.

David A. Lickstein, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments

Firstly if you have a surgeon perform surgery for you you are best advised to follow their instructions as that is how they judge they will get the best result  for you.

Personally for my patients i often advise them to try leaving their garment off after 4 weeks. If they are comfortable and do not get excess swelling then in my opinion and for my patients I do not think the compression adds very much after the first month. If they do find it swells then continuing with the garment is probably a good idea.

Jeremy S. Hurren, BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Plast)
Chichester Plastic Surgeon