10 days post liposuction of abdomen and flanks, no change. Is this right?

I am 10 days post op and although I see a huge improvement of the flanks, my abdomen sees no change at all. The area is not hard, still soft and jiggly. I am 5'1 and weighed 56kg pre op. 750ml was removed Is thus due to swelling or should I be worried at the lack of results

Please included before and after pictures to check your case. Also remember the swollen during the first weeks are normal. 

Swelling may substantially replace fat in the short aftermath of liposuction.

At 10 days occasional patients have substantial swelling that might almost totally camouflage results of liposuction. Continue to remain patient.

When liposuction gives results

Liposuction will show immediate improvements if done correctly and on someone who is a good candidate. From then on, results typically continue to improve over the next three months. 

Not everyone is a perfect candidate, and not all liposuction procedures are done perfectly. Also, some people will swell more in some areas than others, limiting the ability to see early improvements.

Perhaps the number one reason people fail to see results after liposuction in the front of the abdomen is a mismatch between the diagnosis and treatment. For example, women who have had children often develop muscle separation and skin laxity. Liposuction does not treat either one of these two. Women who have muscle separation and skin laxity do better with an abdominoplasty.

Some people have large deposits of intra-abdominal fat or visceral fat. This is the fat that's deep to our muscle layers and around our internal organs. This type of fat cannot be removed surgically. Patients with substantial amounts of intra-abdominal fat need to lose weight since there is no other way to lose that type of fat. Liposuction is not effective for people with excess intra-abdominal fat.

Making a correct assessment before the surgery allows an experienced practitioner to determine who will see results in what areas. In your case, 10 days is much too soon to judge your results. This is the point at which you will be the most swollen. Results continue to improve for several months. Concerns over the lack of results within the first week of liposuction are probably the number one stated concern in the liposuction forum on RealSelf.

Follow up with your plastic surgeon and know your results are most likely going to come with time.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Healing takes time

Healing takes time and the abdomen is usually a little slower than some other sites.  Be patient.   My Best,  Dr C

Swelling after liposuction

Thank you for your question about your liposuction.

• Ten days after liposuction, it is common to look worse or to see no improvement in the abdomen because of swelling.
  • That said, you had a small liposuction.
  • Discuss your concerns with your surgeon to learn how much was removed from the abdomen and when to expect to see your results.
  • Typically, it takes 6 weeks to see results, 6 months or more to see final result.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

10 days

You are still very early in your healing phase and still have fair amount of swelling. Please follow your surgeon's instructions, and keep all your follow up visits with him. It will be a while before you see your new shape.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

10 days post liposuction of abdomen and flanks, no change.

At only 10 days you certainly have swelling that would mask the result of your surgery. I tell my patients to be careful about salt intake as this can make swelling worse. It can easily take 2-3 months to see your final results after a big surgery like you had.  Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. Good luck, Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Questioning liposuction results.

Without the benefit of before and after photos or a direct examination, it is hard to give a meaningful response.  However, after liposuction, the area treated is usually sore, and can be slightly bruised and somewhat swollen.  It usually does not look like untreated areas.  Be sure to follow up with your surgeon to discuss your concerns.  Best regards.

Results after Liposuction

Hi MsHA

Results after liposuction are usually masked in the first few weeks by swelling. At your height & weight, I would imagine that 750ml fat removed will have a reasonable result, but we can't be sure without at least a pre-op photo.

I hope that you end up with a result that you are happy with

Dr Gavin Sandercoe