I think my abdomen is less flat than before the Tummy tuck. Any suggestions?

I had a tummy tuck three weeks ago. Before the surgery I was super skinny I just had the skin really damage around The belly buttom because I had twins .Now my skin is normal but the abdomen is bigger than before and the skin is still a little loose under the belly ? Should I worry?

Swollen after 3 weeks

You may be still be swollen from your procedure. It has only been 3 weeks post op. Swelling can take up too 6 months to completely come down. Give it some time.

It is WAY too early to be evaluating that. Post operative swelling lasts much longer and temporary weakness of your muscles as well. Be patient.                                   

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended for an exam and evaluation. It is normal to have temporary swelling in the first weeks post op.

Likely swelling or fluid collection

At 3 weeks from surgery it is likely a small fluid collection (seroma) under the skin, or just persistent swelling.  Any swelling from your surgery tends to drift downward due to gravity.  I find that the swelling typically persists longest along the lower central abdomen and occasionally the flank area.  Just check with your surgeon and they should be able to easily determine if there is any fluid that needs to be drained.  In the meantime continue your compression garment.  

Christopher A. Marek, MD
Lexington Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post op. Some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (3 weeks post op) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
If the after six months post-op, I recommend you send us your photos again, to give you more information about how we can solve this problem.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emma Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Post op Tummy Tuck

At 3 weeks, swelling which will resolve on its own is the most likely culprit.  This will settle with time - up to 8 weeks.  A fluid collection (Seroma) is another possibility. This should be evaluated by your surgeon and if there is indeed a buildup of fluid, may need to be drained with a needle.  I would see your plastic surgeon soon to rule this out.

Ron B. Somogyi, MD

My abdomen is less flat than before...

At three weeks out, the abdominal flap is still swollen and the lymphatics are still yet to recover.  However, if there is a fullness, then you should see your plastic surgeon to make sure there is not a fluid collection that needs to be drained.

Shayne Webb, MD

Loose skin post tummy

Since you are only 3 weeks post tummy I would think you may have some fluid under your flap and I would go back to your surgeon and have it evaluated.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Without posting beefy and after photos very hard to advise you. Best to see your surgeon in person to discuss this concern. Might be swelling since only 3 weeks post???

Tummy tuck expectations

Thanks for your question. Not to worry. Three weeks will still see swelling; in fact, you can probably expect this for 3-6 months even. Hang in there, and follow your surgeon's recommendations. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon