I have one eye smaller than the other after upper and lower bleph. Should I be concerned?

Had a upper and lowere Blep. 6 days ago. Stiches were removed yesterday. One eye looks smaller then the other. That side of my face is all Bruised down to my chin. Should I be concerned ?

I have one eye smaller than the other after upper and lower bleph. Should I be concerned

Without posting photos of before and after the prudent course of action is to be concerned. Especially if you have unilateral severe bruising. Best to be seen by your surgeon soon in person. Is it the same surgeon who did your Belotero injection???  

Bruising after bleph

Swelling  and bruising are normal for at least 1-2 weeks after blephs.  And also variable from one person to the next, or even on the two sides of the face.  The swelling can cause the eyes to look  asymmetric.  Just give yourself a chance to heal.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty postop

at 6 days postop, it is normal to have swelling. Please follow your surgeon's postop instructions and discuss these issues at your postop visit.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyes not the same early after blepharoplasty

Thanks for your question. It is still early following your blepharoplasty and it sounds like you have significantly more swelling on one side than the other. This swelling will cause the asymmetry that you see now and it should improve as the swelling and bruising resolves. Be patient, follow up with your surgeon and ask him/her if they would recommend bromelain or arnica montana (pills or topical). These homeopathics have, for many patients, sped up the resolution of their swelling and bruising. I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Kevin L. Smith, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after blepharoplasty

There can be uneven swelling between the eyes after upper and lower eyelid surgery. This often evens out after several weeks but can be persistent for several months depending on your skin type. I would not be concerned at this stage in your healing and it will be important to keep your regular scheduled checkups with your surgeon. Some things you can do to speed up the healing process and decrease the swelling is to keep your head elevated above your head at night and continue to ice around the eyes as much as possible. Also, minimize any salt in your diet and take vitamins and supplements such as bromelain and arnica.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Differing eyes post bleph

Without an examination and photos it is hard to be sure. But 6 days out is way to early to be concerned about differences on the 2 sides. I would recommend you give it about 4-6 weeks before an evaluation can be given, but longer for full healing. I would just stay in touch with your surgeon.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Post Blepharoplasty

Everyone has a larger and a smaller eye, this is normal. This can actually be accentuated after blepharoplasty. It should be pointed out to patients preoperatively that there is asymmetry and this can be accentuated early post-op after upper and lower blepharoplasty.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Swelling can be uneven after surgery

As long as your doctor has confirmed that nothing is wrong, it's probably bruising and swelling, which is often uneven after surgery. It can take 3-6 months (and sometimes longer) for swelling to completely even out.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon