3 weeks post op Thermitight under chin, I have droopy lip and numbness on my right jaw and neck. Is this normal?

I am 3 weeks post thermitight under chin. I was given a regional block with Marcaine. There is still swelling and my doctor tells me it takes time to get back sensation and control of my lower right jaw. Is this normal?

Temporary Asymmetry with ThermiTight

Temporary asymmetry after any facial rejuvenation procedure is normal.  Because you have another side that is so close to compare it to it is easy to be concerned.  I usually discuss asymmetry to take up to 3 months.  During that time you will continue to see improvement and even more at 6 thru 9 months.

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Muscle Weakness After ThermiTight

It is possible to experience temporary weakness of a facial muscle or group of muscles following a ThermiTight procedure. Usually, the weakness is short lived but it can take several weeks or months to recover complete function. Weakness can be caused by mechanical "bruising" of the nerve during the procedure or from a modest heat-related injury. In both cases, recovery is typically the rule. You should make your doctor aware of your situation if you haven't already done so.

Brock Ridenour, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible Nerve Bruising

Sometimes the nerves around the area that has been treated can be bruised from the treatment. This can cause the issues you have mentioned. While this is not common, it will take some time for the nerve to function properly. Please see your physician if you have any specific questions.

Carlo P. Honrado, MD, FACS

ThermiTight for facial lifting

Of course I can't comment on your specific condition, but Ultherapy and ThermiTight both can cause temporary numbness and temporary weakness of focal areas. It has been reported but fortunately, very rare that these weaknesses are long term.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Droopy lip and numbness

Yes, it can happen in some patients. The nerves and muscles that go to the lip can be bruised and that can take a few weeks in some cases to regain their function. In most cases that resolves by 6 weeks. As to the numbness, it is about the same. The Marcaine anesthetic by now has worn off and is not affecting it.

Julio Garcia, MD