Is my breast implant infected or could it be something more serious?

Silicone breast Aug.. 2.5 years ago. I woke up with pain in right breast and a 103 fever it only lasted a day but it continued to swell and be sore. No bruising. After 3 days breast became higher. I went to ER, rec'd a CT scan and ultra sound, saw no leakage and diagnosed with poss.breast infec. They gave me IV meds, and I've been on oral antib. for 4 days with no change in the swelling and hardness but less pain. Could the antib. be taking longer to work or could it be something more serious?

You need to schedule an appointment and be evaluated by your surgeon. That is really the only way that he/she can possibly determine what may be going on with your implant.

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Is my breast implant infected?

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your breast related issues. I would strongly recommend seeing your plastic surgeon for an in-person evaluation to determine what is taking place.  Without an injury it would be rare to develop an infection 2.5 years later but due the severity of your symptoms, it must be in the consideration.  Best wishes. 

Infected implant dx can NT be done over the internet. Best to see a boarded PS on MONDAY for dx. I think you need implant removal as a pure guess., SORRY.

Get evaluated.

Your story deserves a clinical evaluation either by your plastic surgeon or another experienced board certified plastic surgeon in your area. Best of luck to you.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon