Who's Most Qualified to Fix Nose After Septoplasty?

My nostril is seriously, "deeply hollow" due to an aggressive septoplasty done by an ENT doctor. Too much was taken out! Is it possible to fix this? I'm going to see a well-known plastic surgeon and a well-known ENT/rhinologist too. Can plastic surgeon correct this? Or is it best to go to a fully qualified ENT surgeon?

Doctor Answers 9

Most Qualified to Fix Nose After Septoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The distinction between being a board certified in plastic surgery or otolaryngology is less important than the individual. The surgeon to choose should be an experienced and expert rhinoplasty surgeon who is passionate about the surgery and understands your objectives/needs. 

West Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

Plastic surgon or facial plastic surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The secialty is unimportant..The experience is important.Select a respected revision nasal specialist. Feel confident with him then go for it.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Best Specialist to Repair Nose after Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The very best specialist for repairing the nose after a prior nasal surgery is a revision rhinoplasty specialist.  There are many rhinoplasty surgeons but not many revision surgeons.  The skills necessary are different.  The best way to find out is to just ask.  Most plastic surgeons will tell you that they do not perform revision rhinoplasty.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

You might also like...

Functional and Aesthetic Issues

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The best physician to correct a nose with both functional and aesthetic issues is a surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty and has a background in Otolaryngology.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 180 reviews

Specialty is Not As Important as the Surgeon's Rhinoplasty Experience

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your rhinoplasty surgeon should be Board Certified in either Plastic Surgery or Otolaryngology (Ear, Nose, & Throat Surgery). Not all "cosmetic surgeons" have completed the rigorous training that is required to become Board Certified in either one of these specialities. It is important to find a surgeon who understands both the aesthetic (cosmetic) aspects of nasal surgery as well as the functional aspects.

Choose a Surgeon Who Specializes in Nasal Surgery: It is important to realize that not all plastic surgeons, nor all ENT surgeons, routinely perform rhinoplasty in their practices. It is imperatice to find one that does. Rhinoplasty takes considerable experience and training to get predictable results. Inquire about what percentage of the doctor's practice is devoted to nasal surgery.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 149 reviews

ENT facial plastic surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is best to go to a qualified ENT facial plastic surgeon who has many years of experience and performed thousands of rhinoplasties. It is best to go to someone who has lots of experience in this area so as not to have any further nostril damage.

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

Rhinoplasty expert

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Either the plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon can do the surgery. FInd someone with experience and good results.  Your concern is an interesting one, but I am not sure what you mean by hollow? 

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Who is Qualified to Correct

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Gladiator,

A well trained and experienced ENT, facial plastic surgeon, or general plastic surgeon would be qualified to correct your deformity.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Choose surgeon with more Rhinoplasty experience

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Both are fine. What matters is the experience with secondary rhinoplasty. It is a fair question to ask. You have to choose the surgeon with more experience in rhinoplasty surgery.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.