Wound separation and revision. Any suggestions? (photo)

I have a wound seperation after labia surgery 7 days ago. It bleeds frequently. I have already contacted my surgeon and she said it will heal fine but I need to keep it clean by showering it after every toiler visit so it doesnt get infected. She has seen the same photo as the one below. I have my checkup next week. She has eased my worries a bit but I still like to hear your opinions. Will it heal properly or will it need revision?

Allow time to heal

Thank you for sharing.  Unfortunately this does happen at times and it is best to keep the area clean.  I usually recommend Bacitracin 2 to 3 times a day and using a squirt bottle to keep the area clean.In most cases the healing turns out fine and there is no need for any further intervention.  Best of luck to you and keep in close contact with your surgeon.

Labiaplasty and wound separation

Hello,In cases of wound separation soon after surgery, it's best to allow for secondary healing while keeping the area clean. It can help to apply Bacitracin ointment along the edges so as to minimize adherence, dryness and bleeding. Once healing is complete, it can be determined whether a revision is beneficial. In most cases revisions are not needed.Regards,Dr. Pedy  Ganchi                                                                                                                                                         Village Plastic Surgery

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Let it heal

Whenever you have a wound opening such as this, it is always better to let it heal by second intention. Just shower and keep it clean. Give it a good 3 to 6 months before you reevaluate it for possible revision.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Post-Op Wound Opening

Here are some general pieces of information provided to our patients about the post-op healing process:Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful for swelling as well.You will do well to closely follow your surgeon's instructions about keeping the wound clean and making sure that you visit your follow-up appointment to have the area seen in person. You should never hesitate to contact her again if you still feel concerns or discomfort about your wound, but like the others stated you should be able to have it heal very well with proper cleansing and care. Best of luck to you!

Wound Separation and Revision

Open wounds can be very scary, but they can heal very well when treated appropriately and kept clean, as your surgeon has instructed. Save all your questions for your checkup next week, as your surgeon will be in the best position to answer them after examining you. If you're interested in information about labiaplasty, click on the link below.All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Revision possibibility

At this early stage it is difficult to tell if you might benefit from revision. Let the wound heal and wait a few months. Have your surgeon see you in the office as this happens and re-evaluate the area in a few months to figure what you might like to do.

Best Regards,
John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Wound separation after labiaplasty

You are quite swollen still and this should get better and help in the healing of the separation.  At this point I agree with your surgeon. Keeping the area clean and doing all you can to minimize the swelling is important. Most small separations will not need revision and if a revision is needed I would wait 4-6 months. Best wishes.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Wound separation and revision. Any suggestions?

Most incisional separations, after labiaplasty, will heal on their own with local wound care. It is very important to adhere to any follow up and wound care instructions provided by your surgeon. Equally important, is notifying them of any changes that occur during the post operative period. It is very early in your recovery period, and therefore discussion of revision would likely be addressed once you are further along in the healing process.  Ultimately, any revision you have will be based on your desired outcome. 

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs, and I am sorry to hear of your incision separation.  Unfortunately without being present at your consultation to discuss your desired results, and due to the amount of swelling your tissues demonstrate,  it is difficult to offer definite advice on the need for a revision procedure.  As you had the trim technique performed you may reach your goals once fully healed, roughly in 8 weeks, but I would be concerned about residual excess tissue being present along each labia as well as a contour issue with your clitoral hood.  If you elect to have a revision performed, be sure to see a labiaplasty surgeon in consultation.  Hope this helps.