What did the surgeon do to my labia? Will it be okay or do I need a revision?

It has been one week from now that i have been to a gynealocogist to get a labiaplasty. It looks like he sewed the inner labia to the outer labia? When i asked him about it he said he didn't do so and that the recovery is going well. I don't see much inner labia anymore and seems like he did something to the outer labia too. Also, i don't see or find my clitoris. Did my surgery go wrong? I know i need to wait to see the final results but i've read that u can see how it'll look like after a week already.

Labiaplasty

It would appear that too much labia had been removed via a trim procedure and the suture line has now come apart. Best is to let all the swelling resolve, do wound care and wait and see. I don't like this procedure for these reasons and recommend that people do a modified wedge technique such as the one I developed (see link below). Good luck

Grapevine OB/GYN

Botched labiaplasty

I reviewed your photo. It appears that most of your labia minora were removed. You had a trimming labiaplasty. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is much more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. I probably would recommend clitoral hood flaps to reconstruct your labia if your surgeon left enough remaining clitoral hood.  I also invented this technique about ten years ago and have done it about 50 times with excellent results. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Another Avoidable Unintended Female Genital Mutilation (aka "Botched Labiaplasty") performed by a "general gynecologist"

Yes, you were "botched." This is the sad result that experienced genital plastic surgeons see so often when women do no research and just let their "general gynecologist" do their surgery. "General gynecologists" think "...well, how hard can it be..." and do surgery (cosmetiuc labiaplasty) that they are absolutely NOT TRAINED TO DO. (**definitely read the attached weblink.) This is unconscionable, and is actionable (meaning you should consider a professional liability action against the Gyn AND the hospital that let him/her do an operation than (s)he was ?NOT TRAINED TO DO.)

YES. your doc AMPUTATED your inner labia and sewed the vulvar vestibule (inner labia) to your outer labia., When this is done (breaking every known "rule" of proper genital plastic/cosmetic procedures) very frequently the sutures tear out, as yours have done on the left side. Fortunately, there may be enough skin left on your clitoral hood for a SKILLED plastic or cosmetic Gyn surgeon to correct this via a "flap" procedure after everything has totally healed 6+ months after your surgery. However, the "repair" of your botched operation that left you worse off than prior to surgery will cost you WAY MORE (probably$8000-10,000) than if you had had an expert do it in the first place. Yes, you "blew it" by having the wrong doc (your '"general gyn") do it in the first place. However, if your doc said that (s)he know how to do the operation, and you were clear about what you wanted in the first place, you may have legal recourse. I would advise you to go both to your doc's office AND the hospital or surgical center where the surgery took place and very nicely tell them "...you are moving and would like a complete copy of your medical records..." (you are legally entitled.)  Don't tell them you're thinking of suing-- I have seen cases where docs falsify records if they know they've botched & their patient might sue. Then, make an appointment with the best Plaintiffs Medical Malpractice law firm in the city or state and have your case evaluated. Personally, I do these evaluations, as do other world-class experienced genital plastic /cosmetic surgeons.

YES, YOU WERE BOTCHED, and it is beyond sad. Your surgeon and ones like him/her need to be sued, as do the hospitals letting them do this to people! This should not happen, and should also be a lesson to other unsuspecting women!

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

What happened to my labiaplasty?

Thank you for asking about your labiplasty.

• Your incisions have separated for reasons that are not clear.
  • Your are still swollen but it does look over-resected.
  • At this point, you need to follow your doctor's instructions on care of the wound until it is healed.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Based on the photos, it appears that your surgical incisions have separated. This may be why you're having difficulty distinguishing the anatomy.  I would recommend close follow up with your surgeon to ensure proper healing over the next few weeks. Typically, incisional separation will heal normally with time. Labiaplasty is the surgical reduction/removal of the labia minora so you should expect reduction of tissue in this area. Also, the clitoral hood is still present and the clitorus has been unaffected by your surgery.  It is too early at this point to determine any revisions needs. It is important to allow enough time for your body to heal before addressing another operation.

What did the surgeon do to my labia? Will it be okay or do i need a revision?

Thank you for sharing your question and your photograph. Unfortunately it appears your gynecologist overresected the tissues of your labia minora and resected a portion of your labia majora as well.    Too much tension along your incision resulted in a separation of the tissues.  Based on your picture the resection did not extend to, nor was tapered, into your clitoral hood and your clitoris has not been affected.  At this time you need to allow your body to heal from the inside out before knowing if any reconstruction using your residual clitoral hood tissue can be accomplished.  Be sure to see a labiaplasty surgeon in consultation once healed.  Best wishes on your recovery.

Your concerns are understandable. There is separation of the suture line on both sides.  Your clitoris and clitoral hood have not been violated and are visible in the photograph.

I would suggest that you  follow up with your surgeon in person for treatment recommendations.  It is difficult to predict whether or not you will be pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed and whether additional surgery may be necessary to improve the outcome. Best wishes.