Treatment options for an asymmetrical upper lip (when smiling)? (photo)

I have a slightly asymmetrical mouth at rest (which I am fine with), however the asymmetry worsens when I smile fully… the issue appears to be that the upper lip movement/roll is asymmetrical, i.e. much more dynamic on the right side. What are the possible causes for this, and what treatments may be considered? Thank you!

Lip asymmetry

Thank you for your question.  This requires great skill and experience.  A small amount of filler, like Juvederm Ultra, will need to be placed very carefully to balance out your lip during dynamic contraction while not affecting your lips at rest.  Please seek out an expert Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for this treatment.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip asymmetry

Dynamic movement causes the issues. The problem is that in repose it is not that apparent. Placing filler in the lip may cause asymmetry in repose.

Lip Asymmetry

Monica
Your asymmetry is only apparent when you smile, so correction must be done with great care because your lips are quite attractive when in repose. I recommend correction with a filler like Juvederm Ultra plus by an experienced injector very conservatively because over correction will cause another asymmetry. If you like the result, then you can consider fat transfer for a longer lasting result. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist with lots of experience treating lips. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Asymmetry of Lip

For lip asymmetry you can have a small amount of filler injected to balance out the asymmetry.  This is an expert advanced technique so please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with facial injections.  Best, Dr. Green