Is there a solution for me? (Photo)

I'm 21. The bags under my eyes are incredibly dark and the lines under it are very distinct. It is clearly a darker color from the rest of the skin on my face.

Dark circles

You are hollow there, and the shadowing can make it appear much darker.  Try some HA filler such as restylane.  Adding volume will help to decrease the appearance of the dark circle.   

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Under Eye Hollowness

An injectable filler such as Restylane helps restore volume in hollowness under the eyes. It is important to seek an experienced injector. I prefer the microcannula technique for safety and reduced risk of brusing.

Dr. Daniel Ritacca

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

Fillers, lasers, microneedling/PRP all work well to treat this area while avoiding the need for surgery. Best, Dr. Emer.

Darkness of lower eyelids

Thank you for sharing your concerns. You would benefit from injection of Restylane. This would fill in the shadow beneath your eyes. Hydroquinone 4% bleaching cream can be considered as well. See an experienced Oculoplastic Surgeon for detailed evaluation and guidance.
Good luck,

Depends on the source of the problem

Thank you for your question.  Dark eye circles that form under the eye is often formed by shadowing due to age-related contour irregularities or volume loss and these can usually be improved with an appopriately chosen hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane. Some people naturally have thinner and darker lower eyelid skin regardless of shadowing or have another cause of the hyperpigmentation such as chronic irritation or inflammation from allergies. Restylane will not help in these cases and may make the area look even worse. For the best treatment options, it is important to visit an expert for an in-person examination. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

21 year old with hollow lower lids

Dear Gretchen,

There are a  number of different causes of dark circles under the eyes. You seem to suffer from a common condition affecting mainly young patients which is a lack of normal fullness under the inner lower lid.

This can be addressed with filler placement in this region by a qualified physician. I suggest you find an Oculoplastic Surgeon in your area to help evaluate and treat you.

I hope this was helpful.

Adam Scheiner, MD
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bags and dark circles under the the eyes

Dark circles may be caused by many factors including hereditary traits, inflammation, blepharitis, contact allergies, hay fever, mechanical effects of eye-rubbing, and aging (not an issue at 21!). The darker color is secondary to inflammation of the skin and congestion of the fine vascular networks underneath the skin. Often with chronic inflammation, itching and rubbing, the skin becomes dark or red with fine wrinkles that have the appearance of crepe-paper. What I generally recommend for my patients is to minimize hand-to-eye contact as this may introduce germs, particles, and other materials or chemicals to the skin. Often our pets are a source of peri-ocular allergies because they bring grass and pollen - among other things - into our home. When we pet them, our hands potentially deposit many things (pollen, oil from plants such as poison ivy, etc) onto our skin - and particularly the eyes if we are "eye-rubbers". Important steps in prevention and treatment are to avoid hand-to-eye contact, and rubbing of the eyelids. I have seen dark circles and crepe-like skin improve with these steps. If itching is a problem, cool compresses with a clean wet wash cloth or gently pinching the bridge of the nose and wiggling the corners of the eyelids may help. Over-the-counter antihistamine drops (or pills) are generally safe and effective. If you have other symptoms such as pain or tenderness, you may want to see a local eye doctor. PS - you have beautiful eyes and I don't see the "bags" in your photographs.  

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon