Looking at having a tummy tuck. Do I have enough skin to pull down? Would I be a good candidate for this procedure? (Photo)

I have stretch marks I dispise above and below my belly button, awful looking belly button too and excess skin. I really want this surgery any advice or information would be muchly appreciated.

Looking at having a tummy tuck. Do I have enough skin to pull down? Would I be a good candidate for this procedure?

I think that a tummy tuck can address the skin laxity and stretchmarks as well as abdominal wall laxity.

Would I be a good candidate for this procedure?

Thank you for your question. Normally a tummy tuck removes the skin from the belly button down to the hairline. If you have stretch marks above your belly button they will not all be able to be removed. Good luck!

Jon E. Rast, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

The tummy tuck specifically treats the excess skin of the abdomen, the stretch marks between the belly button and the pubic hairline are remove, the belly button is revised, and the muscles are reconstructed.  It appears that this would satisfy all of your goals.

Enough Skin to Remove with a Tummy Tuck

Tummy Tuck surgery can dramatically transform a person's body.  From your one photo, it appears that you have excess skin and fatty tissue of your upper and lower abdomen.  Your belly button appears to have been stretched out (from pregnancy?) (umbilical hernia?).  

From this photo, it appears that you have enough skin to pull down.  A thorough examination and medical/surgical history by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will be able to provide you with more detailed answers.  You will want to know approximately where your lower abdominal scar line will be and also if the skin opening around your belly button will be removed, or will you have an additional vertical or horizontal scar above the lower scar line.  This all depends on how much loose skin you have to pull down and to remove.  Also, it appears that you have abdominal wall laxity...loose muscles...(from pregnancy?).  This would be repaired at the time of your tummy tuck surgery to give you a flatter abdomen.

Wishing You the Best!

Cecilia Franco-Webb, M.D.

Tummy Tuck

You're a perfect candidate for a tummy tuck. This procedure will likely achieve your goals and may even surpass them. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck

Just based on the photo I think you would love the changes you can get with a TT. Find a surgeon who does a dissection up over the lower ribs and uses a progressive advancement closure technique. I find the need for a low vertical scar is almost never necessary and the long transverse scar can be very low and easily hidden in a swim suit or with panties.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

You have some loose skin and there would be a benefit from having a tummy tuck but you must realize that besides the expected lower abdominal scar, there likely will be a vertical scar from the downward movement of the old belly button scar. That is because yo do not have enough skin to pull down where that old belly button hole would be removed with a low incision near your pubic region. Also you need to understand that any skin that is removed is great but as you have stretch marks above your belly button, you will see less stretch marks but you will still have stretch marks on the skin that remains. No all of the skin with stretch marks can be removed in your case.

Julio Garcia, MD

Tummy tuck excess skin

There are several things that a Tummy tuck can improve and skin laxity is one. There is excess skin above your umbilicus and this would be addressed. It appears you have abdominal wall protrusion and with fascial tightening this would be decreased and give you a more flat tummy. Best of Luck 

David Liland, MD

Do I have enough skin for a tummy tuck

I agree that many patients have much more loose skin than it looks like in a photo. You can get significant improvement in the skin laxity, but may require adding small vertical incision extending upwards from the mons for an inch or two if you don't have enough skin to have just a traditional abdominoplasty incision An in-person exam by a board certified plastic surgeon can determine which procedure you will need.

Tummy Tuck

Based on your photo, you are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an in person exam to discuss your options.  Best to you!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD