Can Breast Implants can cause Auto Immune Disorders?

I am really thinking of getting saline breast implants, but I've heard about breast implants causing auto immune disorders? Is there actual facts about this statement?

I know of no other medical device that has been studied more than silicone breast implants on their possible association with autoimmune diseases. The result was that there is no association with silicone and autoimmune diseases, but as with most things in medicine, the studies will continue.
The fact is that every time we get an injection we are injected with silicone because syringes are lubricated with silicone. I have personally been inserting silicone implants since 1973 with the exception of the period between 1998 and 2006 when the FDA banned them, I have not been able to associate implants with autoimmune diseases.
Saline implants are excellent products providing you know the pros and cons. They tend to show wrinkles in the upper poles of the breasts in patients with very little breast tissue. Placing them behind the muscle does help. Saline implants can also deflate, and this sometimes occurs in the most inopportune times. However, the encapsulation rate with saline implants is lower than with silicone implants.
I suggest you discuss these issues with the plastic surgeon that you choose. Remember that if there was a perfect way, there would only be one way. So there are risks with every procedure. Discuss these with your plastic surgeon. Best of luck to you and thank you for the question.

Breast implants and autoimmune disorders

Great question. There is no scientific evidence to suggest that saline implants cause auto immune disorders.  It was for this question that silicone gel implants were removed from the market in 1998. As a result, silicone gel implants have been the most studied medical device in history. Hundreds of thousands of patients from all over the world studied.. there was no association between autoimmune diseases and silicone gel breast implants. So the silicone gel implants came back on the market in 2006 and the studies continue.
The safety of silicone gel and saline implants is well documented.

Michael Morrissey, MD

Implants are Safe

The short answer to your question is no.   Both saline and silicone gel implants are very safe FDA approved medical devices.   Remember, no medical device, including implants, lasts forever.   you may need revision surgery in the future.  Please see a board certified PS to learn more about your options.  Best wishes,

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

No

Hi.  I concur with the other authors that there it has been well established that there is no link between silicone implants and autoimmune disorders.  We have had silicone filled implants re-introduced into Austrlalia for many years more than the US and there is no doubt the cosmetic result is superior and used in most augment and reconstruction cases.

Regards

Back in the early 90's, silicone implants were removed from the market because of this fear.  However, rigorous prospective studies were performed and they did not show any correlation between having implants and potentially having autoimmune disorders.  The silicone implants were approved 15 years later for cosmetic use.

Autoimmune disease and breast implants

After the explosion of breast implants into the market in the 1980s and 1990s, some women came forward concerned that their autoimmune diseases were related to their breast augmentation.  Silicone implants were taken off the market until the issue could be assessed with several studies.  After all studies failed to show any link between the implants and autoimmune disease, silicone implants were deemed safe and reintroduced into the market.

Breast implant safety

In the early 1990s there was concern about the relationship between autoimmune diseases and silicone gel breast implants. Numerous prospective and retrospective studies have now been done and there is no evidence that there is any relationship between silicone gel implants and any autoimmune diseases. I recommend you  See a board-certified plastic surgeon who can elaborate.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Do breast implants cause Autoimmune disorders?

Breast implants were taken off the market back in the 1990s for claims that they cause autoimmune disorders. They have since been shown not to cause problems with your Immune system. And now have been released back on the market.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Autoimmune disease and breast implants

It has been implied that breast implants cause auto immune disease. There was a moratorium on silicone breast implants. Subsequent to that there have been several large studies and there's been no link between autoimmune disease and breast implants.  I think you can proceed with confidence and seek consultation by a board-certified plastic surgeon. 

John Paletta, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Many facts. No relationship.

This is one if the most extensively studied questions and the answer is "No."

Please schedule your consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in breast enhancement surgery who will be able to properly evaluate you and provide you with lots of informative material.

Best of luck to you.