Post op 9 weeks lower body lift. Is this an infection? It hurts and looks nasty. (Photo)

I am post op 9 weeks for lower body lift. My healing has been fairly uneventful except for a small area where my old belly button was located. It had opened slightly but was mainly superficial. I have found this area above my mid buttock area today. It hurts and looks nasty. I am unable to see my surgeon since I have recently relocated 4000 miles away. Please tell me, what is this and what should I do?

Painful incision

Hello and thank you for your question.  It looks like you have some widening of the scar and a small stitch abscess forming. This will probably spontaneously drain later today or tomorrow. I probably superficial.  Keep clean with soap and water and a little antibiotic ointment. As long as you are not running a fever you should be fine.
Peter Fisher M.D. 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Post op 9 weeks lower body lift. Is this an infection? It hurts and looks nasty

Thank you for sending your question and photo.  An examination would be needed to help answer your question. It appears from your photo that your scar is widening which may occur in this area from tension.  An examination would be needed if your having drainage and a superficial wound. Continue close communication with your Surgeon for wound care recommendation.  Follow his advise, and continue close follow up. Best wishes.

Circumferential Body lift 360 lower body lift scar postoperative infection

Congratulations on having undergone a 360 lower body lift or circumferential body. I hope your transformation has been amazing.
Thank you for your picture. From just examining your picture and not physically examining you, I see no signs of infection. This appears to be a suture that is trying to work its way to the surface. Typically, the body rejects the suture and the suture works its way to the surface. The suture then falls out and the wound typically heals in 3 to 5 days. In the meantime, I would apply bacitracin to the area three times a day. You can shower with soap and water over the area. 

Trouble healing after body lift

The picture doesn't look particularly threatening for a deep infection, but it could be a superficial infection or suture spit that needs attention from a plastic surgeon.  Sometimes a suture will try and spit out and it can be quite painful and irritated acting like you would expect a splinter to act.  If that is the case, you will be helped immediately by removing the suture.  All of this is difficult to evaluate by photograph and I would recommend you see a plastic surgeon. 

Melinda Haws, MD

Infection after bodylift

It would be difficult to tell from a picture alone.  You really need to go see a plastic surgeon in your area who can evaluate the area for you and if it is an infection prescribe some antibiotics. 

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon