Do I need a mini TT, full TT, or is there another option? (Photo)

Hello! I received Lipo of the abs/flanks in 2007. At the time I was 132. After a lot of hard work I now weigh 111 lbs (I am only 5'3). My problem is some loose skin. You can't see it very much standing (first 3 photos) but sitting, twisting and bending my tummy looks like a 90 yr olds... Help! This has made me very self conscious at the beach, etc... And I feel bad because it's probably the first time in my life that I feel totally confident (aside from the skin) in a bikini.

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your pictures,based on what I see you look like you can benefit from a full tummy tuck.

I recommend you consult with a board certified PS, good luck!

Tummy Tuck options

The amount of excess skin typically determines the length of the incision required to remove that excess skin. As a general rule, a short incision only allows a small amount of skin removal. A longer incision and resulting scar (as in a full tummy tuck) will allow the surgeon to remove more skin and tighten the entire abdominal wall.  This is the important thing to consider when looking at this type of surgery. Don't compromise the results with a shorter scar if it won't deliver the results you want. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in tummy tucks and body contouring should be able to show you what you can expect. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes, M.D. 

Vistnes Plastic Surgery 

San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #tummytuck #drdeanvistnes

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

Hi Pinkbubbles1,

Thank you for the pictures and questions. Based on the pictures you submitted it looks as if you would benefit from a full tummy tuck. I suggest consulting with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area. Best of Luck!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck best for loose skin

Congrats on your weight loss, unfortunately diet and exercise do not improve skin tone.A full tummy tuck is probably the best way to get skin tightening over the entire abdomen since a min only improves the lower abdomen.

Richard Baxter, MD

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question and the photos. After seeing them i am actually a bit in doubt, since there are some loose skin above the belly button a TT would be best. Best standing you are already so flat i feel maybe that a mini could be fine as well. This really needs an inperson consultation to make the final decision. best of luck  

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Do I need a mini TT, full TT, or is there another option?

Thanks for including excellent photos with your question. It's quite obvious there is a significant amount of skin excess and no diastasis is seen of the muscles, so some type of surgical skin removal with tightening will be the answer. The Mini TT only removes part of the loose skin below the bellybutton and so most patients are dissatisfied after that surgery since a significant amount of loose skin might remain. Your photos show loose skin extending a ways above the bellybutton and all of that skin and its looseness would still be there with the mini. But the only way to know for su re would be to see an experienced consultant for a thorough consultation to determine your goals and an exam to decide which surgery would best help you meet those goals.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

It's a good question, but it's best answered by learning a little more about your health history and examining you in person. A mini tummy tuck removes excess skin and tightens the abdominal wall below the belly button. A full tummy tuck uses an extra incision, around the belly button, to remove additional skin and tighten the abdominal wall above the belly button. Most women who have had a pregnancy will benefit from a full tummy tuck, because their abdominal wall tends to have has laxity above the belly button also. Abdominal wall laxity is tested by having you fully relax your abdominal muscles and seeing if a bulge of the abdominal wall develops. In a sitting position a plastic surgeon can determine how much excess skin is present. These two factors help determine whether you're a better candidate for a mini or a full tummy tuck. Unfortunately, there are no reliable non-invasive skin tightening procedures.