I Have Crown on my Front Tooth Since 16years. Now Recently I Am Noticing the Huge Gaps?

Hi, I am noticing huge gaps in my front teeth. I went to the general dentist and she suggested that my crown need to be replaced and also she said that for my original tooth also she is going to implement crown, which will reduce the gap. Could someone please suggest me do I need to go for this option? Also it is costing 1000$ out of my pocket after the insurance. Please suggest do I need to get this done by the general dentistry OR cosmetic dentistry. REgds

Doctor Answers 3

Gap between central teeth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If the present crown is really bothering you- the best way is to change it. New crown can reduce the gap and significantly improve the aesthetics  It will be highly recommended to get a consult from a dentist specializing in cosmetic dentistry.

Gap in my teeth should I go to a GP or cosmetic dentist

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

First in most cases a dentist will recommend two crowns rather than one because in most instances the end results will look more natural. As far as a GP verses a cosmetic dentist, we have no formal specialist in dentistry in cosmetics. I suggest you look at before and after procedures your dentist has done and ask how many procedures they have done like the one you are having. Also dentist who a member of the AACD or other special groups may have additional experience and knowledge. You may also want to consider adult orthodontics to close the space or gap first and then consider the crown or crowns. Good luck


Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD  CEO of Baystate Dental PC>

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Dentist

Front Tooth Crown 16 Years and Gap

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without seeing photos and X-rays, its impossible to answer or fully understand your question.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.