Open wound after TT with muscle tightening (Photo)

5 weeks post op tt n muscle tighting , i really want to start walking on tread mill , i do have an open wound by hair line , im tired of just eating alittle n then laying dwn. Im packing with gauze 2 a day like i was told by surgeon my hole is to the abdominal wall the dr said he keeps saying it well heal not infected or anything im also , not diabetic or smoker or drinker .

Tummy tuck complications

You have some flap necrosis of the distal skin flap, which most commonly occurs where you have experienced it - right in the middle.  While I agree in general with treating the open wound, in your case you appear to still have some necrotic fat that needs to be debrided, so it gets cleaned up and can go on to heal more quickly.  You should do this sooner rather than later, so you don't get sick or have a worse problem.  

Open Wound

You need surgical debridement of the wound; there is a lot of tissue that is not alive and needs to come out. This will allow much more rapid healing.  If your surgeon has seen you and not done that yet, you need to get help from another doctor. Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

TT wound

This hole will take 3-4 weeks to heal with good wound care. Your surgeon may even have to debride  the non viable tissue at the office a few times.  Be patient. Packing will allow it to heal from inside out. Make sure your surgeon sees you weekly until it heals. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Open wound

Thank you for our question. I am sorry to see that you had a complication with your abdominoplasty. This is called skin and fat necrosis which is due to insufficient blood supply of the skin flap. You should definitely be in close contact with your surgeon. You may need formal debridement or removal of the necrotic tissue either in the office or in the operating room. Wound care to help with the wound may include a negative pressure dressing which helps shrink the wound and encourage blood supply into the wound.  Unfortunately, there is no quick fix for this and patience is definitely required. Once the wound has  healed, months down the road, revision can be considered.

Need for Debridement of Tummy Tuck Wound

I recommend that you speak with your plastic surgeon about debriding (cutting out the bad tissue, fat and skin) and re closing that area, if it is possible, and placing drain tubes.   If your doctor finds in surgery that your wounds should not be closed yet, due to lots of drainage and/or infection, then a wound VAC can be placed, which is changed every few days, depending on the drainage.  This will helped to get your wound closed faster.  You need to have a serious discussion with your doctor, and work together to get you to heal.

Best Wishes!

Tummy tuck necrosis

Sorry to hear about your tummy tuck recovery.  The goal will be to heal as quickly and as well as possible.  To do so, it may be beneficial to have some surgical debridement.  Placement of a negative pressure wound vac may also be beneficial to expedite healing.  You may find this process to help you regain activity at a faster pace.  It will also decrease the number of dressings and wound care that you need to do on daily basis.

Good luck with the tummy tuck recovery.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Open Wound 5 Weeks Post-Op

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

If you find yourself extremely worried about your wound and any altered sensations it would be best to visit your surgeon right away to have the area examined for proper healing. Good luck.

Open wound post TT

Sorry but you have a wound dehiscence based on the photo you has posted.  Also it looks like this was fleur de lis tummy tuck? The wound does look necrotic and needs a debridement in my opinion.  Also I would recommend antibiotic regimen as well.  Once the wound is cleaned and allowed to heal secondarily it should improve.  Of course you will have a more extensive scarring that will need more work down the road.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon