Follow-Up Question: Open wound: My wound from tt is draining blood is this normal? (photo)

im taking 500mg 4 times a day of cephalexin , also im 5 weeks post op , im gg to womb care tomorrow because all my ps says its normal continue packing . Im very scared . Everybody says tefer bck to surgeon and all he says each and everytime is its normal. It is completly hollow its the big one thats draining blood, please refer bck to my pictures if needed . Was not refered to womb care from ps , did on my own.

Tummy tuck wound

I am sorry that you are having these difficulties. It appears that you have an open wound with necrotic tissue and likely need wound debridement and good wound care for this to heal.  Best to follow closely with your surgeon.

You Need More Surgical Removal of Dead Tissue

Your wound still has dead tissue that needs to be removed. Those smaller holes are all contiguous with one another, as well as with the large hole, and they are being held together with dead tissue. Once you have all the dead tissue removed, the hole will be very large, but it will make it easier to do wound care.  Bleeding is a very good sign, and indicates healing.  You do not need any antibiotics. Please see another surgeon is yours won't do these things.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Complex Wound problem after TT- Now what?

Hi msrosie

I totally understand that you are scared.

Let me give you what I think is some solid advice/observations from my experience.

First, you need to be sure to communicate with your PS.  Doing things on your own may cause problems because each may Rx a treatment that the other doesn't know about and they may conflict.  Only one person can be in charge, both health care providers must work toward one goal- getting you better as soon as possible.

Frequently a wound may look like it is draining blood when it is not.  If the drainage is red, but not like you would see if you cut yourself, rather, thin, runny, dilute or even rusty colored, it is likely that it is a "seroma" .  A seroma may have some blood in it, but it is mostly made up of tissue and lymph fluid.  A draining seroma in and of itself isn't worrisome, given the correct clinical situation.

By the picture alone, it appears that you have a persistence of unhealthy tissue.  Something needs to be done about that.  It may be that continued packing will do, or maybe not.  Other options include a surgical procedure to remove or "debride" that tissue.  Following that, the question will be how to treat.  I don't think that closing the wound would be a good idea, as it would likely to get infected.  The big question would be do you continue to pack with gauze, or do you do something else like Vac?

So I would urge you to communicate directly, politely, with your PS.  I am concerned that you are not communicating well.  If the doctor doesn't explain things or you don't understand things, maybe take along a friend who can help- a nurse perhaps?

Be sure that you are NOT bleeding, and that you do not have an infection.  

Together make a plan, discuss what will be "next", and try to get an idea how long the process is expected to go on- this will be an estimate only.

All the best.

Follow-Up Question: Open wound: My wound from tt is draining blood is this normal?

Thank you for your pictures and questions. Sorry to hear you are having trouble. It appears that you had some issues with blood flow to the abdominal flap and there is some ongoing necrosis that is in the process of healing. While I would not refer to this as "normal," it does happen and usually it will go on to heal without complication and leave a widened scar. There are many treatments available for wound care but if the would is clean enough, I would prefer to treat these types of wounds with a wound VAC. You can discuss this option with your PS or the WCC. 

Open wound after TT

Thank you for your question. It look like a deep wound and you probably get befit with wound vac. Please talk to your PS and go to wound care for evaluation.

Open wound

Thank you for the photos and clearly your situation is not normal and in my experience should be treated with a wound vac to get the incision to close.  So see someone in your area familiar with that dressing option.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Post-op wound

Dear Ms. Rosie,

It's not uncommon to have post-operative issues after a tummy tuck procedure.  It appears you have a wound that needs appropriate treatment. I would recommend you go back to your plastic surgeon for wound care

Joshua Kreithen, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

That pink tissue bleeds easily and as long as we are talking about just a little blood, that is normal.  Keep going to wound care and help the wound to heal.

Virgil Willard, MD
High Point Plastic Surgeon

Blood from wound

Hello and thank you for your question. The blood is most likely from the granulation tissue that is developing.  This is a good sign and the bleeding is normal as long as there is not a lot. Good luck with the wound care center.

Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon