Wanted to find out if its normal to be completely numb still from my tummy tuck? (Photos)
Doctor Answers 6
Your plastic surgeon
should STILL be seeing you if this was a cosmetic procedure. Its his responsibility to see you through this until the end... the happy end. And as for the numbness, my patients are told not to expect recovering anything below the belly button.
Thank you for your question. If you meant wound care, your incisions should be well-healed by now. It would be useful to visit your Plastic Surgeon in person for assessment as you continue to heal. Numbness often persists long after you've healed. It could be 6 months or more before feeling returns and this is a normal part of the healing process. I recommend that you share your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon.
All the best
You might also like...
It is very common to have numbness following a tummy tuck. The nerves that are damaged can take a long time to heal, much more than other tissues. In most people it can take six months to a year before the nerves fully heal and the numbness is gone. This is a major surgery and you need to give yourself time for your body to fully heal. If you still have numbness after a year consult with your plastic surgeon to see what their recommendations are. Good luck with the rest of your recovery.
Healing after a tummy tuck
Thank you for your question.
After a tummy tuck you can have numbness for 6 months sometimes longer. The numbness is usually from the belly button down and gradually as you regain feeling it goes from the belly button down to the incision. Stay patient, you are only 7 weeks post-op you still have a long way to go to be completely healed. Good luck with healing.
Numbness After Tummy Tuck #tummytuck
- It is normal to have numbness from your belly button down to your scar for many months.
- At 7 weeks the numbness you have is expected and unavoidable.
- I tell all my patients to expect this numbness because ice or a heating pad could really damage this skin post operatively since patients can't feel anything.
- Most tummy tuck patients regain most of this feeling by one year post-operatively. However, some patients may have some residual patches of numbness that can be permanent.
- Definitely, follow up with your plastic surgeon.
- Thanks for sharing!