Am I at a Higher Risk for Capsular Contracture?

I had a scope knee surgery 5 years ago and developed excessive scar tissue that required a surgery to remove it. I am now considering a breast augmentation, but concerned that I may be at higher risk for CC because of my knee experience. I also have a history of allergies (food, seasonal, some meds.)

Capsular contracture

Your experience with your knee does not increase your risk of capsular contracture with breast implants

Capsular contracture

The fact that you developed scar tissue I your knee after surgery is unlikely to be a predictive factor in whether or not you are at greater risk for capsular contracture from breast augmentation.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

High Risk for Capsular contracture?

We do not know with certainty what causes capsular contracture.  The current thinking is that it may be related to bacterial contamination of the pocket surrounding the implant and of the implant surface itself.  There is nothing, to my knowledge, to suggest that poor scarring in one area of the body places someone at higher risk for a capsular contracture following augmentation.  Similarly, your allergies should not increase your risk for this problem.  There are some things your surgeon can do that seem to reduce the capsular contracture rate such as using an inframammary incision, placing the implant behind the muscle and washing the pocket with antibiotics before placing the implant.  You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon before surgery to be certain you are reducing your risks as much as possible.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

I know of nothing to suggest a correlation between excessive scarring and capsular contracture. As I think back to the times that I have done surgery for CC, I cannot recall none that had  scars in need of revision. 
Food allergies would also not be correlated. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Capsular contracture risk

There is no evidence (published literature/data) out there that would suggest you would be at increased risk of capsular contracture.  Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options. Dr. Basu Houston, TX

Capsular contracture

There has been no reported association of an increased risk for capsular contracture in patients who have had previous issues with scarring. The cause is still unknown

Risk of capsular contracture

You are not necessarily at a higher risk for capsular contracture because of your knee surgery experience. Patients who smoke are at higher risk for capsular contracture. Also, if the implant is placed through the areolar incision, there is a slightly higher risk for capsular contracture. Taking high doses of vitamin E after your procedure can also help decrease the risk.There are several measures that can be taken by your plastic surgeon to minimize this risk. I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon in person for more information.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD